Main Menu

Challenger Shaker N96 Hood history / Notes

Started by Cuda Cody, January 11, 2017, 12:16:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 21, 2017, 09:56:11 AM
the red 'cuda SHAKER bubbles are a RARITY no-where near the "NORM" - I would guess very early & in conjunction w/front and rear rubber bumpers & "PILOT" or "PROMO" cars ONLY

30 years ago a red hemi'cuda wasn't that rare of a sight - one with a red bubble was

the "LOOK" was cool but I've heard it was too time consuming to get a quality gloss paint finish on the bubble & the idea/concept was cut from production

:alan2cents: IMO some are trying to rewrite history to make a car "MORE SPECIAL"

there are early SHAKER coded Challengers that were delivered w/o a SHAKER hood - who would admit that today  :thinking: it's all about the  :bigmoney:

Cuda Cody

My FE5 A06 (Oct 6th) hemi cuda rubber bumper had the bubble taken off at 9 miles and was red. 

Voodoo Child

Not to hijack the post,  but wasn't the standard power bulge hood to have a  ram air style air intake similar to the 8&9 road runners? But the engineers found thru the wind tunnel there wasn't enough pressure at the scoops to work. The hood was already made, hence the big open bulge area above the engine?

Cuda Cody

Not sure.  I've never heard that... but there's a lot of things I don't know.  So I'm sure it's possible.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

I all was though the bulge was there for hood clearance, so they could put A taller intake manifold on the car.    :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

Any pics on where original stamping numbers were?

Icarus38376

Hey Cody, Black Shaker Paint question.  I had a 71 challenger shaker car back in the day and I remember the black shaker to be smooth, much like the new late model shakers on challengers.  However, some seem convinced that the black was textured much like the argent.  Do you know about this?  Thanks, any info appreciated.

Cuda Cody

Welcome @Icarus38376   :welcome:  Thanks for joining us and very good first question.  I wish I had a for sure answer for you.  However, I have not been lucky enough to own an original black shaker car so I do not know for sure what they came with in terms of texture.  But I thought they were organosol black so it would be a tiny bit of texture.  Nothing like the texture of the argent silver.  Maybe someone else knows for sure, but unless you have an untouched original it's going to be hard to know for sure.

RzeroB

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 11, 2017, 12:16:08 AM
This is from Tavis King on our E-Bodies.org Facebook group.

First Version had No crumple zones and a raised spot for the fratzog hood emblem. It did Not have a raised spot with reinforcement rib for the 71-74 hood latch pull rod on the underside. It also did Not have the larger hood nose reinforcement. It used 5/16ths hood bolts.

Second Version had crumple zones and a raised spot for the fratzog hood emblem. It did have a raised spot with reinforcement rib for the 71-74 hood latch pull rod on the underside. It did Not have the larger hood nose reinforcement. It used 3/8ths hood bolts.

Third Version had crumple zones and No raised spot for the fratzog emblem. Also did Not use the "DODGE" letters. It did have a raised spot with reinforcement rib for the 71-74 hood latch pull rod on the underside. It also had the larger hood nose reinforcement. It used 3/8ths hood bolts.

Good stuff. Wish we had some pictures or illustrations to point these different features out  :rubeyes:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Icarus38376

Thanks Cody! Great Site!  I wonder if the new black shakers (2016 Scat Pack) would be considered organisol?

speeddemon

New to the forum, I keep track of 70-71 dodge challenger shaker cars, here is a link to my registry.

http://340shakerrt.wixsite.com/dcshakers

ratroaster

Definitely organosol.  SEM trim black or hotrod black is much easier to spray and keep clean and looks awesome.....

speeddemon

When time allows I will post a bunch of photos of the shaker hardware, bubbles, grills, cables, hoods etc..... I,  by no means am an expert. I have gathered most of my information off the internet and talking with guys at cars shows. Hope to be a help here  :twothumbsup: