Main Menu

Correct tail panel paint treatment

Started by Burdar, March 17, 2017, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

1972 Challenger Rallye had Organisol blackout on the tailpanel and taillight housings, except for the area immediately surrounding the lenses, which is argent.

cataclysm80

1972 Non-Rallye Challengers, and all 1973-1974 Challengers had argent on the tailpanel and taillight housings, except for the area immediately surrounding the lenses, which is Organisol black.
73 & 74 Rallye cars did not have a black tailpanel, and did not have an S in their VIN.  By this point, Rallye was an options package instead of a separate car model.

cataclysm80

Creating this thread was a great idea Burdar.
You always do a wonderful job on the 72-74 Challenger stuff.

Tavis King

cataclysm80

Barracudas with the extremely rare M46 option, had a lot of Organisol blackout under the lower body line of the car, and the entire front and rear valances, with a red and white pinstripe dividing the blackout from the body color.
M46 also caused the grill to be painted black.
M46 also caused the tailpanel to be painted black Organisol, extending half way under the 3 piece aluminum tailpanel molding, and 1 inch into the trunk lip.  This Organisol also extended downward to blackout the area behind the rear bumper.

Yes, the car in this picture does have a rear valance installed, it's just difficult to see because it's painted black.

cataclysm80

Gran Coupe tailpanels were painted argent, extending half way under the 3 piece aluminum tailpanel molding, and 1 inch into the trunk lip.
Gran Coupes used regular blackout paint to blackout the area behind the rear bumper.

cataclysm80

Gran Coupes caused some confusion on the assembly line.  There are multiple examples of cars with the stainless trim instead of aluminum, both stainless and aluminum trim at the same time, or no trim at all, and all with argent paint.  That's not the way things were supposed to happen, but it did happen, and is how those cars left the factory.

You can see one of these cars in a factory promotional video.  It's the second car shown in the video, starting at about 2 minutes into the video, and you get the best look at the tailpanel at about 3 minutes 20 seconds.  https://youtu.be/RiG7l_yBZS8

cataclysm80

Barracudas with A22, Gran Coupes with A22, and 70-71 'Cudas use the 4 piece stainless tailpanel molding, with Organisol blackout inside the molding and also extended downward to blackout the area behind the rear bumper.

cataclysm80

72-74 'Cuda tailpanels were painted Organisol black, extending half way under the 3 piece aluminum tailpanel molding, and 1 inch into the trunk lip.  It should extend downward to blackout the area behind the rear bumper.

cataclysm80

70-74 Barracudas without M46 or A22 have tailpanels that are body color without any bright trim.
The engineering diagram doesn't specify any blackout behind the bumper for these cars.  Maybe a page is missing?  Look at your car for evidence one way or the other.

cataclysm80

There we go, that pretty well covers it.
Keep in mind that emblem placement can change from year to year.

anlauto

Excellent information :bravo:

I'm guilty of restoring a couple of 71 R/T's and leaving the upper character line of the tail panel silver :stop:  I had some bad reference photos I used at the time....it won't happen again... :bigthumb:

I'm doing another 71 RT right now :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Flatdad

If a 1971 non-R/T Challenger was ordered with Elastomeric Bumpers, It received R/T style paint treatments front & rear.

According to a Dodge Product Information Bulletin shared on Hamtramck Historical's website.

anlauto

Quote from: Flatdad on April 16, 2020, 11:37:30 AM
If a 1971 non-R/T Challenger was ordered with Elastomeric Bumpers, It received R/T style paint treatments front & rear.

According to a Dodge Product Information Bulletin shared on Hamtramck Historical's website.

That's very interesting  :thinking: I've never heard that before, but it makes sense :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

I understand that a 1970 barracuda that was ordered with an elastomeric rear bumper, got the 'cuda tail panel treatment. so that dose make seance being the dodge was the high end model.  :alan2cents: