Main Menu

Alignment plates

Started by dodj, September 21, 2019, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Alignment turn plates
What do you guys use?
I hear everything from a stack of newspapers to plates that cost over 2 grand!
What's good enough for a guy in his home garage doing an alignment every now and then?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Challenger Lover

I just roughed in the alignment on my RT and used no plates at all. Kinda sucked plus I'm sure my caster measurements were less precise.

I saw in a YouTube video where a guy used two 1/4" thick 12" X 12" metal plates with a thin coating of grease in between. Kinda hillbilly but it worked. You would just need to make sure the top one stayed put while driving on. Lifting the front end and setting it back down messes with all your measurements since the suspension all needs to be settled in first.

I think I might get some plates next time and try it.

1 Wild R/T

Use two pieces of ceramic tile under each wheel, put the glazed sides together with a blob of grease in between...  Works great, If you don't already have extra tiles laying around your total investment should be less than $5...  If like most of us you do have tile laying around total investment will be zero...

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I use the ceramic tiles as well. Using a felt marker I mark across the center of the top ones and then mark from that center line out to the corners as well.
Sheldon

dodj

Well I have some tiles kicking around so I'll try it. Thanks
Assuming you have to place the car on the tiles, not drive on? Then bounce the nose for a bit to get it to settle?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7E-Bodies

Definitely doing some learning here by following this thread. The front end has always concerned me for when I reassemble this project. Then of course I don't want to trust an alignment shim with the keys to a U code rt.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

MoparLeo

Of course you are just roughing the alignment until you take it to an alignment shop. If you want to do your own alignments for real, get the proper tools. If you belong to a club or have like minded friends, you can each pitch in to lower the individual cost. When doing your caster swing it is more important to make sure that you are swinging the same/proper amount of degrees side to side than how to make your tires slip. Want your tires to slip, try Armorall or silicone spray where the tire contacts the floor. Can't get cheaper than that.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

GoodysGotaCuda

I use these, my suspension setup isn't very friendly to the average alignment shop. I won't have someone monkey with it.

https://www.wheelalignmenttools.com/store/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Brads70

I have these tool to do my own alignments.
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=2446&prodid=7218&pagetitle=Caster-%2f-Camber-Gauge-w%2f-Magnetic-Adapter ( also have the spindle thread adapter for it)

https://allstarperformance.com/aluminum-toe-plates-1pr-all10119/

http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7234

I made my own bumpsteer gauge. , its just a simple plate that bolts onto the hub and some dial indicators.

Expensive? excessive? ya a little but I'll have the tools for life.

dodj

Ya, I'd love to have those longacre plates too, but I can't justify the 800usd.
I'm going to try out Randy's suggestion. At 0$ outlay, what do I have to lose?

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on September 21, 2019, 05:35:40 PM
Ya, I'd love to have those longacre plates too, but I can't justify the 800usd.
I'm going to try out Randy's suggestion. At 0$ outlay, what do I have to lose?
I agree thats nuts. I've had them for awhile , ebay purchase about $300 I think.  Do you ever get down to Barrie? If so you could borrow them?

dodj

I appreciate the offer Brad, but I'm about 1200km from you. Not pop by for a beer distance...lol