Main Menu

Compressor Filter And Dryer Units

Started by Daveh, September 19, 2019, 07:42:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

I have a $250.00 gift card from Summit.  I need a new filter dryer unit for my Quincy shop compressor and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for one from Summit only.  Just because I have the gift card. 

I was thinking of the unit below but would like your opinions or is there a better one that I should get that I'm missing.  Let me know.  Thanks

Dave

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dvr-130525/recommendedparts

1 Wild R/T

My opinion only, FWIW high end desiccant filters like the Devilbis unit are great if you paint cars allot, beyond that they are expensive to maintain, $43 every month for a new element means it doesn't get maintained...

Also you don't want to hang that unit near the compressor, the air needs to cool first so figure 50+ feet of copper or iron pipe...

What do you use the compressor for?

I have a desiccant filter, only time I connect it is when I'm ready to paint...

Most of the time I just use the copper cooling coils with drain valves on each drop... super effective

7E-Bodies

Do you have some better pics of each bank? I'm liking this.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

I can get some, what would you like to see?   The ones attached to the fan cage are plumbed into the line from the pump to the tank, each drop has a drain..

The ones mounted on the wall are plumbed to the main air line...  I should have made that out of 3/4" but I had 1/2" and honestly it feeds a 3/8" hose so it's fine...  I recently saw someone else had done something similar but they had a 10 gallon surge tank after the condensing stack in case of a need for greater volume..

Anyway, same deal, as the air is passing through the copper is is cooling and the moisture drops out of suspension, it winds up running down the wall of the tube & accumulates in the drain tube.. I drain it frequently and the first two tubes usually have a good amount of water, the others are usually just smaller and decreasing amounts...

Oh, your Summit money, look at this...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rti-ed-2-4/overview/

Rich G.

Looks like you're getting ready to milk a cow! That's a whole lot of copper! I really need to do that one day. The line on the back of my garage is dry and that's where I paint from. The one in the front if the compressor runs a lot puts out a lot of water!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Rich G. on September 21, 2019, 09:12:27 AM
Looks like you're getting ready to milk a cow! That's a whole lot of copper! I really need to do that one day. The line on the back of my garage is dry and that's where I paint from. The one in the front if the compressor runs a lot puts out a lot of water!

It's about 70' I'd had it laying around for a few years & when I got the compressor I decided it was time to to do something with it....  I planned it out & bought the fittings online... much cheaper than Lowes or the plumbing supply...

MoparLeo

WoW!! Can you play any good tunes with that thing ?   As said, the farther from the compressor outlet you place your filters, the better they will work. The air is hot and damp from being compressed. The set up shown is little more than a moonshine "still". You are just draining the condensed liquid(water in this case) out of the pipes.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...