Main Menu

My solution for shop shelving

Started by 71GranCoupe, January 29, 2017, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

We all know what a pain it is to find shelving to work for us that is affordable. I went so far to buy rack shelving (e.g. Lowes, Home Depot commercial stuff) and it was OK, but spendy. It did not really do what I wanted. Bought a different kind of rack shelving and it was about the same as the other stuff. Good for large items, but it did not address the small items. I then went on to buy 2x4's and 1x12's for the smaller stuff. It worked, but still left me with what the heck to do with the real heavy stuff.

After giving it some more thought, I opted to go get a load of 8x8x16 concrete blocks, 2x6's and some osb. I stacked the first row up high enough (on the one shown below) so as to store engine blocks on the bottom and then just single 8" blocks with an additional 2x8 for a little more room. On one of the shelves I stacked, I picked up some 8x8x8 half blocks to give me a deeper shelf. I used the 2x6's then cut osb to get a nicer surface that is more even. Used some screws to keep it from sliding. With the 2x6's, it will hold almost anything I can lift up there. I can stack heads, starters you name it and they will not sag. The heavy stuff stays down low and the lighter stuff up higher. I have about 5/6 of these in the shop. They are anchored to my wall girts to prevent tipping. I have since built boxes and have a better way to keep things organized. I have even recycled some some shipping boxes from the PO as well.

May or may not work for you, but if you try it, be sure and tie the shelves to the wall for stability. Pictures of one of them for a clearer idea of what the end product looks like. Nice thing about them, they are easy to assemble and are not permanent. They can always be relocated.   :takealook:

Cuda Cody

WOW, that's maximum use of space!!!!   :yes:   :clapping:  Nicely done!

fc7cuda

Nice set up there Grant.  :bigthumb:

I assembled something similar using adjustable shelving I bought at an auction.  Shelving was cheap, as they just wanted to get rid of it.  I have each of my boxes numbered and then have the contents of each numbered box on the computer.  I update it as I add or remove parts, and use the search function when I'm looking for a part.  Process has worked well so far.   :cheers:

Tom

RzeroB

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 29, 2017, 05:50:10 PM

I can't remember where this place is ... but THIS is how it's done (assuming you have the room of course)

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

Quote from: RzeroB on January 30, 2017, 08:04:56 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 29, 2017, 05:50:10 PM

I can't remember where this place is ... but THIS is how it's done (assuming you have the room of course)

Geeezzz I don't know...Who's shop could that be :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

I couldn't see the photo...   :notsure:   Then figured out I needed to be logged in to CC to see it!   :rofl:  That photo was taken a few years back.  Nothing better then having everything organized.

Love the feeling of empty shelves waiting to be filled.

HP_Cuda

The kid just can't wait to get into the candy store!!!

Love it!

:bradsthumb:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

After seeing how tight @71GranCoupe  got his shelves, it's inspiring me to re-organize my shelves!

71GranCoupe

I have to admit, over time the items have become a little unorganized and maybe when warmer weather rolls around I will go through and clean things out. I like the Cody's shelves and look great. They look to be in a 2nd story setting. I had another shed with similar shelving in the pictures, but they did not like having piles of exhaust/intake manifolds starters, alternators, heads and all the heavy stuff. I have all my 4 speeds on a 2nd shelp just above the spot for engine blocks. Like I said, it works for me.  :cheers:

anlauto

How full are those shelves now Cody ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

2nd story, I wish!  It's in the attic so up 2 full flights of stairs to basically a 3rd floor.   :Thud: 

I was afraid someone would ask how full they are.     :crying:   I'll try to get a photo when I get home from work....  there's not much room left!

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 30, 2017, 10:30:27 AM
After seeing how tight @71GranCoupe  got his shelves, it's inspiring me to re-organize my shelves!

I had to do something with two 36x60 buildings and only a small walking path through the parts. LOL  :) :yes:

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 30, 2017, 11:25:07 AM
2nd story, I wish!  It's in the attic so up 2 full flights of stairs to basically a 3rd floor.   :Thud: 

I was afraid someone would ask how full they are.     :crying:   I'll try to get a photo when I get home from work....  there's not much room left!

What ? no elevator ? Cut a 4x4 square hole in the floor and mount a 5000lbs winch in the roof and just build a platform and some guides.... :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Here's what it looks like today....  Man it filled up fast!   :Thud: