Main Menu

Repairing an aluminum radiator

Started by Brads70, May 31, 2017, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Sorry to hear.
It sounded like a good plan.

Is replacement the same as what you are removing?

To combat flex, i have mine setting in a cushioned lower bracket with the top being held in place with brackets. In essence it is somewhat free floating.
Similar to how old Mustang setups were with their larger radiators.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

HP2

In general, our old cars are a lot more bendy than many new cars. I could see chassis flex leading to radiator issues if they are mounted semi-rigidly. In this case, Brad has done considerable work to eliminate flex. Not sure how rigidly the radiator was mounted through.

I took a page from the GM playbook with my radiator mount and used reproduction rubber saddles that sit on the tank to core seam on both the top and bottom. Time will tell if this was a good approach or not.

Spikedog08

So Brad, How do you mount that one?  when I bought mine from Mancini's, it was a direct fit and came with a shroud . . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Brads70

Quote from: Spikedog08 on June 22, 2017, 08:33:17 AM
So Brad, How do you mount that one?  when I bought mine from Mancini's, it was a direct fit and came with a shroud . . .  :dunno:

I'll let you know when it arrives? Not sure yet, I'm assuming I'll be able to mount it in rubber like previous rads I've had in the car. Might have to whittle up some parts/mounts?

Spikedog08

Quote from: Brads70 on June 22, 2017, 08:36:48 AM

I'll let you know when it arrives? Not sure yet, I'm assuming I'll be able to mount it in rubber like previous rads I've had in the car. Might have to whittle up some parts/mounts?

Well from experience, if anyone can do it . . . you can!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Brads70

Quote from: HP2 on June 22, 2017, 06:13:13 AM
In general, our old cars are a lot more bendy than many new cars. I could see chassis flex leading to radiator issues if they are mounted semi-rigidly. In this case, Brad has done considerable work to eliminate flex. Not sure how rigidly the radiator was mounted through.

I took a page from the GM playbook with my radiator mount and used reproduction rubber saddles that sit on the tank to core seam on both the top and bottom. Time will tell if this was a good approach or not.
:iagree:
Also factor in at least double the HP/Torque from factory and good sticky rubber , mounting the rad in with lots of wiggle room/flex is a must. This last rad I'd say that is what killed it. While I did have it mounted with rubber wellnuts , it just wasn't enough flex. Expensive lesson learned ..... hopefully others will learn from this.

HP_Cuda

Remember to isolate any electrical current going through it but I remember you already used rubber mounts for your last one.

:bigthumb:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

While wandering around a local wrecking yard I noticed most cars now mount the rads on pins floating in rubber bushings. So I got 4 bushings and made my own pin mounts that will be pop riveted to the new rad housing. This was today's progress. I'll build a platform to mount the bushings on later, and a top mount plate that bolts onto existing holes . I'll make use of my dimple dies for that one. Need some material first....

RUNCHARGER

That does it: Next time I go through life I am coming back as a Machinist, if only you could get rich at it.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

And of course you should have made two sets.

Mike.

Brads70

Finally got some time to finish this up. Whittled up the top mounts and plate. Just need to gear up an overflow tube and I'm done!

Chryco Psycho

Awesome work as usual  this will extend the life of the new unit  :bigthumb:

Bullitt-

Great Job on the new radiator Brad .  :worship: ... As to the old one did you look into epoxy for aluminum A/C condensers?  Put a slight vacuum on it is what an old timer told me was the trick..
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

YellowThumper

No better satisfaction than making it yourself.

Mike.