Main Menu

Spot Welder

Started by purple1, September 05, 2017, 06:23:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

purple1

I picked this up this weekend. Any body have one? How do you like it? Any pointers on using it?

I got this for installing the new roof and other panels on my car.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

Cuda Cody

Do some testing with it.  It might be on the small side for power and being able to punch through the thickness of metal that you are going to want to do.  I use a pro-spot 10 and sometimes I wish it was more powerful.

purple1

@Cuda Cody  I got the 240 version cause I didn't think the 120 version would be powerful enough. I hope this one works the way I want. I can always go back to the MIG if needed.

Dave

Cuda Cody

Nice.  The 240 version will be nice.  Check the duty cycle and give it plenty of time to cool down between welds.    :banana:

RUNCHARGER

Let us know how it works: I always wanted one of those.
Sheldon

truckinman466

I bought one like yours from a pawn shop. I haven't used it other than to test it. I have noticed that you need good clean surface for mating. Also, it's pretty heavy, so get a good grip on it. I'll be following this thread to see how it works out

jimynick

Cody, I've seen welders like yours in body shops and they tell me they run 40-50k! It's air or water cooled, isn't it? That's a serious piece of machinery! Wow
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda Cody

Yes, it's water cooled and still takes a bit to of time between welds to keep cool.  I try to take care of my stuff so I do not go to fast with each weld so I can assure the maximum penetration with each weld.  I got a good deal on a used one is the only reason I have it.  There's no way I could afford a new one.   

Quote from: jimynick on September 06, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
Cody, I've seen welders like yours in body shops and they tell me they run 40-50k! It's air or water cooled, isn't it? That's a serious piece of machinery! Wow

purple1

:thankyou: Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give this a work out this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes.

Dave

purple1

I got to try the spot welder yesterday. It works really good, almost too good. A 4 second weld was about right. Anything longer than that was burning though. I think I am going to grind the tips down some so they are not so pointed. That might work better. I'll keep you posted.

For any one thinking of getting one of these. I say go for it. To me it was worth it for the roof installation alone.

Dave

Cuda Cody

Looks like it worked great!   :yes:

larry4406

Nice! Harbor Freight?  Are replacement tips available or other brands fit?

HP_Cuda

Kinda impressive, how long did you wait between welds?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

That looks pretty good, a little pointed but paint will flatten that out a bit.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 11, 2017, 06:33:40 PM
That looks pretty good, a little pointed but paint will flatten that out a bit.
Hit it with a small bead of self-leveling sealer and it'll look factory.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"