Main Menu

Welder Recomendation, on a Budget

Started by gzig5, April 03, 2018, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I am in need of a MIG welder.  I've got a Miller Dialarc HF TIG machine, but I can't imagine doing all the panel work this car needs with a TIG, too slow.  The MillerMatic 211 has been recommended but that is a bit more than I care to spend.  A friend reports good results with the Hobart 190 and that is more in the price ballpark I can stand, and comes with a good warranty.  I'd appreciate any first hand experience with what Hobby-level machines work and what doesn't.  What control features are important to have for doing panel and frame work on a car?  I've got a 60A 230 V plug so I want to have the capability of a 200-ish Amp machine.  Anything I can save buying the welder gets put back into parts for the car.  I know that Harbor Freight has a new line of welders out but I really haven't heard enough about them to support buying one. 

1 Wild R/T

I love my Hobart... I wouldn't consider HF, they might have gotten better but in the past they were failure prone....  I'm sure I don't need to tell you Miller stuff is great...... I will tell you to check Craigslist, plenty of lightly used good quality stuff pops up & it sounds like you'd know how to tell the used stuff from the used up stuff....

Oh, I'm not a fan of flux core so I wouldn't consider a unit without a gas bottle....

Cuda70-74

I got Hobart 210 which is probably more than I need. It was on sale at the time so I couldn't pass on it.  It's a nice welder and gets the job done and if I need more  amps I can use the  adapter that it comes with for 210v.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Brads70

I have a pretty good Lincoln tig welder but I rarely use it. I have a Lincoln 110v welding I've had for over 20 years and go for that most of the time. The are priced pretty cheap, I got a gas kit for it when I bought it.

GoodysGotaCuda

I have built many many things with my 170a 220v Harbor Freight welder. I would like a longer lead on it, nicer gun, etc....but the stupid thing keeps working. I paid $160 or so for it several years ago, I got my monies worth out of it a long time ago.

I've welded axle ends onto a 5,000lb rock crawler with it, no problems.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

I have a lincoln 140 amp mig.  Nothing on these cars it can't do.  And it is pretty reasonably priced.
They have a 180 amp 220v machine if you want a bit more power.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

B5fourspeed

Chryco Psycho

Cheap will cost you more in the long run everytime .
I have a 110v Miller 140 should last as long as I do , great from light / medium work .
I would look at Miller Lincoln Hobart etc

IRON MAN

I got various opinions on another forum years ago. Glad I took their advice. Purchase a Lincoln Electra PRO 180 with the optional cart and tank.

RUNCHARGER

Buy a gas setup for sure. I have a Lincoln 180 and it is okay, a Miller would be better and I personally have used a Hobart and was impressed with it as well. As Wild said you may be able to find a better quality lightly used welder for the same price as a lower quality new one.
Sheldon