Main Menu

Tool for installing the dash frame bolts with windshield in place

Started by Dakota, June 03, 2020, 07:38:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I finally installed the 4 small bolts that attach the dash pad to to top of the firewall.  I've been dreading this task because my windshield is installed which creates access issues with reaching the bolt heads. I've had this flexible extension sitting in my tool box for a couple of years for this sole purpose.  It worked great, particularly with using a magnetic socket to prevent dropping the bolt into the vent. The tool never touched the glass and the smooth silver barrel on the end could turn slowly against the dash pad material without damaging it. With this tool, the hardest part of the job was getting the fastener clips to line up with the holes in the dash pad. 

I really try to avoid single use tools, but this one saved me a lot of headaches.  If these bolts are all I ever use it for, I consider it a good purchase.

392 Cuda

I used something similar.

After stripping and reinstalling the interior a couple times, I also found its important to have the steering column bracket screws in correctly.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

gzig5

I was recently researching the dash removal topic and one of the restorers recommended using a wobble socket extention with short socket.  You can get right up next to the windshield, loosen it and then use a magnet to snag the bolt.

https://www.amazon.com/Wobble-Socket-Extensions-Visibility-Markings/dp/B005Z5E5GA

Dakota

I have a set of those and tried to use them on one of the bolts.  For me, it didn't work so well because I had a harder time controlling the angle the bolt went it.  Those wobble extensions can certainly be useful elsewhere so hopefully they work for you.

dodj

Looks like a good tool for the job.
I rednecked it a bit. I used a 1/4" drive with a universal, a wobble extension, electrical tape to 'stiffen up' the universal and some duct seal to stick the bolt in the socket so it didn't fall out.... :tool:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I spent about 4 hours trying to install those bolts one time , eventually the wife of my friend showed up & she was able to fit her hand in their no problem & start all 3 bolts , unfortunately she is not available anytime I need to do this so that tool is a great find !