Main Menu

1970 Challenger chrome flip gas cap

Started by 750-h2, December 06, 2017, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Should a code be on the data tag if a 1970 Challenger R/T SE was originally equipped with a flip style gas cap.  If so would the code be J46 for locking gas cap? I ask as my car to my knowledge has always had the flip gas cap but It is not on the data tag and that area of my broadcast sheet is destroyed.

Thanks

anlauto

That is my understanding....J46, but I don't believe it's on the tag, only the sheet.....  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

J46 is on the fender tag very late (some July production ONLY?) 1970 model year

it does appear on '71 tags

anyone know when it was discontinued?

750-h2

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 06, 2017, 03:53:23 PM
J46 is on the fender tag very late (some July production ONLY) 1970 model year

it does appear on '71 tags

anyone know when it was discontinued?

And I owned a late production Challenger R/T SE SPD 723 that didn't have J46 but did have a locking cap & flip cap when I first saw it around 73, clearly I can't prove it's original but the guy who bought it new was in his 60's & not likely to change stuff.... The car sold new at Holton Dodge.... AKA Harry Holton of SSAA fame..

headejm

Question: Did all flip-top racing fuel fillers come with a locking gas cap? Could you get one without the other?

My 1970 RT/SE has a flip-top cap filler but no locking gas cap. My broadcast sheet does not list J46. I assume many locking gas caps got lost or thrown away. SPD 508.

anlauto

Quote from: headejm on December 06, 2017, 05:42:11 PM
Question: Did all flip-top racing fuel fillers come with a locking gas cap? Could you get one without the other?

My 1970 RT/SE has a flip-top cap filler but no locking gas cap. My broadcast sheet does not list J46. I assume many locking gas caps got lost or thrown away. SPD 508.

I think this is the point...If your BCS does not list J46 then your car DID NOT get the flip top chrome gas cap. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Learn something new almost every day. Assume my flip-top was added somewhere along the way. I know very little about the history of my car from 1970 to 1980. IMO the flip-top filler is a must-have on a Challenger.

6bblgt

:iagree: they were included with the T/A (A53) package & OPTIONAL on everything else - they should've been STANDARD

& yes the $4.40 OPTIONAL "locking gas cap" was the only way to get the "flip-top" from the factory

headejm