Main Menu

1970 V Code 'Cuda Date Codes

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, June 21, 2022, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I have been searching this site relentlessly trying to learn as much as I can and did not find what I was looking for so apologies if this has been answered.  I just purchased a V code '70 Cuda - the story goes the car was in the same family in California for nearly all of it's life, and the last title transfer was in 1991 so it has been at least that long.  I was told the original owner left it to his son, and the grandkids since inherited, and liquidated, the car so there is very little information to go on.  Unfortunately the fenders are 'glass (along with the hood that has to go!) and the fender tag is long gone.  I am hoping to get the broadcast sheet from the Hamtramck registry (I searched the usual places and there is not one in the car).  My question is regarding engine date codes vs. the car's production date and if they should be within a month or so of each other?  Would that also be true of the heads date code as well?  I have very little to go on and I am trying to piece together the history of the car and what I actually have here and if the drivetrain was born with the car.  The vin stamp on the block matches, but I am trying to due some extra due diligence since there is not much provenance on the car as it is.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

Rule of thumb is up to three months prior  :dunno:  item's like heads and blocks can be cast way before the assembly date of the motor though :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

dates can vary a lot - early cars are tighter, because of the new model year - LA cars are looser due to shipping engines from Detroit

is your 'cuda a LA or Hamtramck build - is it a N95 (CA Emissions) car originally - got pics and/or VIN you can share?

johnshotrods

Very interesting !
Can't wait to hear more . Is the engine complete w/carbs ?

cuda hunter

Is there a door sticker?  How about a picture of that?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70_440-6Cuda

Engine is complete with carbs, no fender tag, no door stickers etc.  I am going on very little on this one - I hope to have located a broadcast sheet through Hamtramck Registry which will help if so.  Just trying every avenue to piece together anything I can to confirm or dispute what I got myself into!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

6bblgt, thanks for the reply.  Since I got the car this month I have been trying to work out the history.  It is a Hamtramck build and I was lucky enough to find the broadcast sheet available (hopefully) through the Hamtramck Registry. I am waiting to hear back from Barry if in fact he has a copy and if the documentation I provided is sufficient.  I am not sure if it is an N95 car or not and am still learning the details of the N95 so any guidance is appreciated.  I also read that CA cars did not get the "cut out" exhaust ports in the rear valence (I was under the impression the car had the wrong valence as it does not have cut outs).  I am just hoping there is a broadcast sheet and I can definitively know what the car was originally - it looks like it was black, which seems slightly more rare than some of the other colors and will give me an excuse to respray the car the correct color.  Partial VIN is BS23V0B.

autoxcuda

On N95 cars:

Look in trunk on the passenger rear wheel well for a breather looking tube that almost looks like a 2nd gas pipe.

Also the gas tank will have 4 hoses coming out of it and some of those feed into that breather tube.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks for the info!  Yes, I believe it is an N95 car - when I had it on the life I was wondering why there were extra fuel lines that had been cut and crimped closed.  Getting closer to a real identification! 

70_440-6Cuda

Hi all - quick question for the group - is there any issue with sharing your actual broadcast sheet or build details?  I received my broadcast sheet from Barry @ the Hamtramck registry which is amazing - thank you Barry!!!  I have been warned not to post that information as there are some out there that may try to pirate a broadcast sheet or build details.  Just wondering if there is any validity to that and if there are things I should keep private with regards to sharing photos of the actual documents?  I cant really see the need to be so cautious - I have seen several VIN #s and broadcast sheets posted so just thought I would ask.

anlauto

Depends on how tight your tinfoil hat is :rofl: :rofl: ....That question will get 100 different opinions.... I think there's no issue with sharing....Barry, not so much... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

:rofl: Man THAT was funny!  I agree, what can someone do with it anyway?  Barry was REALLY tough until I could PROVE this was my car - but he came through so I can't complain - and more importantly I am grateful for whoever found it and sent it in - that is an amazing story in itself that I love telling people. 

Cuda_mark

Just an FYI, the E Body (Challenger and Barracuda) 1970-74 Manual. Guide to Fasteners, Hardware and General Assembly from MMC Detroit has a lot of information on date codes for various parts. The book is $135 on their website but it has a lot of cool information if you are trying to get your car back to stock. Here is a small sample of the kind of info in it.

70_440-6Cuda

@cuda_mark that is great info - I will be getting one of those asap just to have the info - not sure I am going to go that far, but nice to be able to find the information. 

70_440-6Cuda

Going to order the MMC manual tonight when I get home so thanks for that info.  I tracked down 2 different 4.10 Dana's and am curious how far prior to he build date they should be dated?  30-60 days seems to be what I have found.  Both I found are several months prior to my build date, but may be the best I can do.  Thoughts from the groups as it is not going to be cheap?