Main Menu

70 340 Decode

Started by 71383bee, April 13, 2020, 07:25:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

I cleaned out my garage this weekend and got a good look at my rainy day 340 I have that's been sitting for MANY years.  Finally got around to checking numbers on it.  Here's what i can glean from the knowledge made available from this awesome site:

Block:
Cast 11-19-69 on the 3rd hour of the day shift

VIN Stamp: 0R213248

1970 Engine
Built in Windsor Assembly Plant (Canada)
VIN ending in 213248

Engine Assembly:
FW340P31120143

1970 Model Year
Windsor Engine Plant
340 CI
Premium Fuel
3112 Built February 3, 1970
143rd engine built that day

My question is with regard to the VIN.  What cars were built a the Windsor assembly plant?  I don't recall seeing that VIN code often.  I imagine that if they built 340 cars they had to build A, B, or E bodies.  Was this plant just for Export cars? 

It's got J heads on it which i don't believe are original.  Also has post 72 spool type mounts on it which also are not original. I believe those were on B's and A's but not totally certain. 

Attached are some pictures:
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

anlauto

No E Bodies at Windsor, a lot of A Bodies and I think possibly some B Bodies in 70-71
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Chrysler built a lot of DARTs at Windsor for the 1970 model year - for the US, Canada & Export

a few c-body Dodge & Plymouths but their production ended before Thanksgiving 1969 & there were a few Valiants/Dusters

probably a 340 Swinger - I have info on one 30 VINs before it & another 672 after.

the engine should have "J"/915 heads - what's the date on them?

JS29

Those Swinger-340's were fast and sharp!  :yes:

71383bee

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 13, 2020, 11:14:54 AM
Chrysler built a lot of DARTs at Windsor for the 1970 model year - for the US, Canada & Export

a few c-body Dodge & Plymouths but their production ended before Thanksgiving 1969 & there were a few Valiants/Dusters

probably a 340 Swinger - I have info on one 30 VINs before it & another 672 after.

the engine should have "J"/915 heads - what's the date on them?

340 A body makes sense.  Very cool car.  My uncle had one.  V2 with black top and stripes.  My dad said it was one of the fastest cars he's ever been in!  He said Uncle Mike had to give it up as he lost his license in it!  Story goes that he literately walked to the police station and handed the license to them... :)) Not sure if its a tall tale or not but I've heard those Swingers can move... :burnout:

You're right.  They are 915's.  Is the date the other runner casting?  it looks like either (2,3, or 4)491 which to me doesn't make sense.  Unless its a 71 head.  its a bit hard to see.  It's crammed in the back again.  I'd have to dig out and pull the rockers to get a better look.  The head casting is pretty clear though. 

6bblgt

I can't make out the casting date either   :rubeyes:   but What is Going On Here?
are these screwed into the oiling holes, or are there additional holes facing down?  :notsure:

71383bee

Yeah I saw that after I posted. It been on the long block since before I got it.  I believe it's an attempt to completely seal everything up. It looks like the rocker shafts were installed 180 out and someone put bolts in the oil holes which really does nothing I suppose.

With the pushrods out and plugs in the valves are closed which seal the combustion chamber. It turns but is a bitch because the valves don't open which I imagine means the rings are still sealed pretty good.

Either way it's a rainy day motor for if I have issues with my OE 340 I can pull this one apart and build it. I'm pretty confident it can come apart and be rebuilt.

...however...I am contemplating selling it....lugging it to my 4th house in five years can do that!  It's a steel crank 340 though!  It tugs at the heart a little! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73_Cuda_4_Me

Check and see which way the notch is pointing on the end of the rocker shafts... down toward heads, shaft is correct with oilers down to rockers.

Notch up, and they would have had a hell of a time building oil pressure with oilers shooting up into valve covers with no restriction whatsoever...

Depending on how long it was run before they bolted the oil holes in rocker closed, I'd worry about rocker shaft wear, cam bearing wear, and main/rod bearings...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

70Barracuda

The 340 in my first Cuda had O heads.  Rarely if ever hear that term.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

6bblgt

there are small block "915" heads with "J", "O", "U"  & a blank square  :dunno: haven't seen any explanation on WHAT or WHY the different markings?

71383bee

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 14, 2020, 08:48:17 PM
there are small block "915" heads with "J", "O", "U"  & a blank square  :dunno: haven't seen any explanation on WHAT or WHY the different markings?

I assume the question at this point is if they are the 2.02 valve heads vs. the 1.88 heads. 

Are the 2.02 heads that much better?  I've heard mixed results that the 1.88 heads are still pretty decent.  The compression drop was due to the piston height going down i thought. 

My smog motor 73 340 moves pretty good in my opinion!  IF i do rebuild i may want a touch more compression but need to keep it around 9:1 to run on 91-93 octane. 

Sorry I realize this is getting off topic!