Main Menu

71 'Cuda Shaker Hood - N96

Started by Marc1, November 08, 2019, 06:11:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marc1

Hi,

I am looking at a 71 'Cuda. It has the Shaker hood but the fender tag does not show N96. I am not sure if the vehicle has a broadcast sheet yet (it is early in my research). Are there any examples of factory Shaker cars that do not have the N96 code on their tag? I am pretty sure the tags are not repops and the car looks quite original. It has power steering and that code is also not on the tag but as I understand that is normal. One other question, the tag shows A34 is that definitely Super Track Pack for 1971? The notes around the Internet say 69-70 on that A34 code. This is a V car if that matters. Thanks in advance.

Marc
Gone but not forgotten:
1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6
1970 GTO Judge RAIV
1968 GTO
1968 GS400
2011 Shelby GT500

anlauto

No N96 on the tag = No shaker hood from the factory. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama Marc :wave:
It could have been dealer installed but unlikely , why not just order the N96
A34 would be super Track pack 4.10 ratio , I assume it is a 4 spd car

nsmall

Welcome to the site!!!!

Make sure to have a big piggy bank as they aint giving 71's away.  People are asking a fortune for rough 71 projects. 

JS29

:welcome: From central New York! Let;s hear more about your car.  :handshake:

Marc1

Hi,

Thanks very much for the responses. I suspected no N96 means no Shaker. I will investigate further and see if there is any explanation for the change (dealer when new... done at restoration time, etc.). It is not something I would do on a rare car like this (alter the factory built options) but I know it happens and no slight intended to those who do it, I just wouldn't.

This is an automatic car I am looking at. My 3 pedal days are over (age, sore joints etc.). My last car had a fairly light pedal nothing crazy but still after 30 minutes in stop and go traffic I wanted to go home. Most of the muscle cars I have owned were 4 speeds but any new acquisitions will have to be automatic and I am fine with that.

I know 71's are expensive but they are my favorite. I wouldn't turn down a 70 but I am trying to stay focused on a 71. I have a reasonable war chest start from the last car I sold so we will see what happens.

Thanks,

Marc
Gone but not forgotten:
1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6
1970 GTO Judge RAIV
1968 GTO
1968 GS400
2011 Shelby GT500

cudaized

Marc,

If you get a chance, post some pictures of the underside of the hood.
A few items to look for:
If it has the crumple zones
If it has three holes for the Plymouth emblem on the front, drivers corner
If it has the three holes for the Plymouth emblem, does the hood have three larger diameter holes (only on the bottom sheet metal layer) where the emblem posts would get fastened by nuts.

Might be a factory built hood. There are several other items to look for. These are just a few. And only some specific hood traits. Several more items included in the N96 package.

Could be dealer installed. Could be post new car owner installed.

Ola
1970 `cuda340 convertible 4-speed Rallye Red with Red interior cudaized.com 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry ebodyconvertibleregistry.com

RzeroB

In all likely hood the Shaker hood was added at some point as a matter of personal preference. It's a popular modification as there are a LOT more Shaker cars around now than ever left the factory!

A34 Super Track Pack Axle Package with an automatic? Normally the automatic would be coded A32 Super Performance Axle Package ... which is essentially the exact same thing. From my observations it is not uncommon to find A34 instead of A32 on an automatic car's fender tag ... there's a fair amount of them out there that I have seen that way.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

for '71 all 4.10 DANA axle package cars are A34

most likely added during a more recent restoration VS. "back-in-the-day" (a few underside pics and it could be determined whether it's an original hood VS. a converted "flat" hood  :takealook:

CudaMoparRay

chris NOS

There is  a super nice v code for sale in quebec by john scotty , they added the shaker hood on it even if it was not a N96 originaly ,  all lot off people prefer the shaker even if it's an add on during restoration.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Marc1 on November 09, 2019, 10:08:12 AM
Hi,

Thanks very much for the responses. I suspected no N96 means no Shaker. I will investigate further and see if there is any explanation for the change (dealer when new... done at restoration time, etc.). It is not something I would do on a rare car like this (alter the factory built options) but I know it happens and no slight intended to those who do it, I just wouldn't.

This is an automatic car I am looking at. My 3 pedal days are over (age, sore joints etc.). My last car had a fairly light pedal nothing crazy but still after 30 minutes in stop and go traffic I wanted to go home. Most of the muscle cars I have owned were 4 speeds but any new acquisitions will have to be automatic and I am fine with that.

I know 71's are expensive but they are my favorite. I wouldn't turn down a 70 but I am trying to stay focused on a 71. I have a reasonable war chest start from the last car I sold so we will see what happens.

Thanks,

Marc

Got any pics of the car?  How about a pic of the fender tag since we are trying to piece together your questions. 
sounds like a sweet ride! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Quote from: chris NOS on November 15, 2019, 12:31:27 PM
There is  a super nice v code for sale in quebec by john scotty , they added the shaker hood on it even if it was not a N96 originaly ,  all lot off people prefer the shaker even if it's an add on during restoration.

I think John asking $260K CDN for his 1971 V Code is quite optimistic in today's market. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marc1

Quote from: chris NOS on November 15, 2019, 12:31:27 PM

That was, in fact, the very car I was looking at.
Gone but not forgotten:
1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6
1970 GTO Judge RAIV
1968 GTO
1968 GS400
2011 Shelby GT500