Main Menu

Date Code Door Decal help

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, March 04, 2020, 09:49:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Guys I am super pumped that I finally found my door decal for my 70 Challenger Convertible. That being said, when I pulled it off I was not aware that by doing so the info sticker Voided. Ouch. At the time I did take photos of it, but our laptop subsequently had a blue screen crash and I haven't been able to get the photo. Another bad thing is When I got the car it did not have the fender tag. I suspect the previous owner took it off when he attempted to paint the car and it was never replaced. I also don't have a build sheet. Yes, I know, I am really suffering.

That being said, the car is on the road to recovery. After a long time of looking I finally found the tag, but it is super hard to read. I can make out the last 5 digits of the Vin on the bottom line and "-  1969" on the top line. But for as much as I try the month is nearly impossible for me to read. Any idea how to determine this. I believe they started being built in sept 69. Is there a way to compare mine to other close in between vin numbers to know? Any help appreciated.

6bblgt

it has to be: "10-1969" or "11-1969"

try putting a dark background behind it & taking another pic/scan above the "CONFORMS TO"

:takealook: I see a "10" 

Chaos-N-Mayhem

You must have good eyes. Mine are shot even with my bifocals.

I will try a darker background and see if that helps. Obviously Chrysler did a good job making them tamper proof. I used a hand held magnifying glass and a big magnifying light I use out in the shop for small stuff and it was still really hard to read.

7E-Bodies

My 70 Challenger is B177116 and I have two build sheets, fender tag and original door decal. Decal is 11/69, scheduled production date 11/4/69. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Thanks Kevin. That helps me narrow down the answer. What I originally thought was a "3" is like a "0" with a "/" through it. I've looked at several online pics of challengers with 1969 date on their door decals. Apparently there are vertical stickers on LA built cars with one kind of font and another for Hamtramck built cars with horizontal door stickers with a different font. Mine is the later, from Hamtramck, was horizontal and with the same kind of font as the "0"s have a slash thru them so I feel it is likely a 10-1969 date on the sticker.  Although I would still like to know 100% , but beggars can't be choosers at this point.

7E-Bodies

@Chaos-N-Mayhem I think you're spot on, yet I don't come close to the clout that @6bblgt can muster. Glad to help, even if a little. He's already helped me immeasurably.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Ok as follow up, I tried to lay the sticker on different color backgrounds and just could not a ee the month like I had hoped. I even tried looking through different tinted plastics in the hope the ink would become more apparent. No luck.

On a side note I did pull out the quarter glass and it appears to have a date of August 1969. So how far in advance was the glass made/dated compared to the car assembly?

Chaos-N-Mayhem