Main Menu

Manufacturers door decal

Started by fireguyfire, January 17, 2020, 01:51:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm prepping my 73 challenger for paint,  which will mean putting it back to its factory colour.
The car was resprayed once in the early 80's, and I am taking everything back to bare metal before repairs and paint.
I was stripping the drivers door today, and noticed when they resprayed the car the did a crappy masking job around the door decal, and also got done paint smudges on it.
I guess I could strip around the decal, and then mask it when I paint, but that doesn't address the paint on the decal.
I'm guess the best solution would be to have a new one made so that I can remove the decal, paint and then apply the new one in its place.

Can I get a repop of this decal made with my current numbers on it so it looks factory original when I'm done?

76orangewagon

Cuda Cody

anlauto

Yup ... take some good photos of it and they can make your new one exactly the same :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

Excellent; thanks gents!
One more question; is this the only factory decal that would have came in a 1973 challenger, or was there a tire pressure decal as well?
Looking at the door jam on the drivers side below the Nader pin there looks like the ghost of a decal that was sprayed over when the car was repainted in the early 80's.
I'm thinking either a tire pressure decal, or an oil change decal from a gas station?

anlauto

Your car would have had all the decals when new. Antifreeze, emission, tire pressure, jack, etc...etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

fireguyfire

I'm just specifically wondering about inside the drivers side door jamb

anlauto

There may have been a Canada transport decal on the door if the car was sold new in Canada along with the tire pressure and VIN decal, but that's it for the door jamb. :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Air pressure decal in the door jam, Transport Canada decal on the door. I agree send a photo of the VIN decal to ECS and you will get a perfect one made for you.
Sheldon

6bblgt

WOW!! that's one late built 340 car - near the last of its breed  :yes: & without that decal, we would've never known

073008 = vehicle completion date = Monday July 30, 1973 during the 8:00AM hour * 5+ weeks LATE  :unbelievable:

got a fender tag pic you can post?

usraptor

I had the same dilemma when I painted my car.  As others stated, took a picture of the original and  ECS sent me a perfect reproduction which I applied after paint, along with the tire pressure decal for the door frame.  :bigthumb:

fireguyfire

As requested, here's a photo of the fender tag. It's pretty much as good as it gets for a 73 rallye as far as options go.

Cbridgewater

Do you know if they will re-create one based on a Title and Fender Tag? Mine is no longer in existence to take a photo.

anlauto

Quote from: Cbridgewater on January 18, 2020, 07:09:22 PM
Do you know if they will re-create one based on a Title and Fender Tag? Mine is no longer in existence to take a photo.

The door VIN decal ? yea for sure 100% ...I've had several made with just the dash tag picture

Cbridgewater

Was it through the ECS site listed above?