Main Menu

LA car, lost hope for documentation?

Started by Blake@diyhemi.com, March 30, 2017, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2017, 10:32:55 PM
what's it look like now & what are your plans for it?

Right now I am finishing metal work. She was hit in the 80's in the passenger quarter. Small fender bender, horrible repair job with filler for days. Being from San Antonio/ west Texas most of her life, she had very minimal rust.

Plans were to build a daily cruiser and Optima series (USCA) car out of her. I already have a new hemi in and the suspension built out. 1.03" T bars, 13X Lb spring rate leafs in the rear, US Car Tool stiffening kit, 4 speed trans.

The night I first saw it

Put road wheels on it for grins

Check out the custom interior it had

Now

Haven't fully decided on a color yet but I do know I'd like to replicate the P5XY interior but with TMI seats in black and houndstooth

If I had more documentation I'd consider keeping the stock gran coupe appearing exterior and interior. Being less desirable, I don't feel bad changing things up.

I'm weird, I love numbers like most of you, because of the history. However, it's fun to change things in a way that plays on numbers of original options. On this type of car anyway.

Examples:
P5XY themed interior but with modern, side bolstered seats

C26 overhead console, but it is ran by a micro controller in the dash to activate lights, effectively replacing the hard to find low fuel relay. It will also be programmed to blink when fuel is low and push a notification to your smartphone with GPS tags of nearby fuel stations

P31 windows; updated to be driven by Ron Francis wiring black box, with independent relays for up and down motions tied in with molex connectors to preserve original wiring.

For you straight original, numbers guys, I get it. If I had a desirable car, I'd be pulling the books out and doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

xx88man

At the beginnining you said this car is nothing special   :bricks:  I'm pretty sure we all disagree. I must say though...I really love what you are doing with it. I believe cars are meant to be driven so build it to drive!    :bravo:
Keep yer foot in it

Blake@diyhemi.com

Here are some documents I have from the previous owner buying it at the dealership. The dealership no longer exists, so that was a dead end [emoji17]

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

6bblgt

yes, the VONs tie the two Barracudas together 113070 & 113081 (yours being an ORDERED "Y14" car should imply the connection is most likely a dealership)

you have the interior code typed incorrectly above it's P6YX - originally all vinyl - IMO the '70 GRAN COUPE "PREMIUM" all vinyl interior is the best looking ever available in an E-body!

what details of the interior are gold & which are black? a-pillars, kick panels, seat backs, door panels, seat belts, window trim front & rear, etc.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 31, 2017, 10:43:21 AM
yes, the VONs tie the two Barracudas together 113070 & 113081 (yours being an ORDERED "Y14" car should imply the connection is most likely a dealership)

you have the interior code typed incorrectly above it's P6YX - originally all vinyl - IMO the '70 GRAN COUPE "PREMIUM" all vinyl interior is the best looking ever available in an E-body!

what details of the interior are gold & which are black? a-pillars, kick panels, seat backs, door panels, seat belts, window trim front & rear, etc.

My fender tag has the interior trim stamped wrong as a typo. My fender says P6YX it should be P6XY.

I found this post on Moparts. Is that you? Tell me more about this car you knew of 15 years ago. Sounds like my car.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

6bblgt

I missed the "XY" VS. "YX" typo but you have "P5" above - twice

the other FY4 P6XY Gran Coupe was in northeast Ohio - I don't think it had a fender tag, power windows or a leopard print headliner
I talk to his brother regularly, I'll see if he know what happened to it.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on March 31, 2017, 03:15:17 AM
P31 windows; updated to be driven by Ron Francis wiring black box, with independent relays for up and down motions tied in with molex connectors to preserve original wiring.

Just something to be aware of, if your wanting to use the Ron Francis bow for one touch window operation it needs to sense the load on the motor so you can't use it to trigger relays as their load across the coil never changes & isn't enough to cause the box to interrupt power....

However with the new small motors you could probably feed the motors straight from the box....

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 31, 2017, 12:09:45 PM
I missed the "XY" VS. "YX" typo but you have "P5" above - twice

the other FY4 P6XY Gran Coupe was in northeast Ohio - I don't think it had a fender tag, power windows or a leopard print headliner
I talk to his brother regularly, I'll see if he know what happened to it.

Oh sorry, to clarify, I've always been a fan of P5 houndstooth. While not original to my car, I was thinking of going that route. I've collected all of the red trim pieces.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 31, 2017, 10:43:21 AM

Black items;
Dash, kick panels, carpet, headliner, overhead console, headliner trim, sail panels and rear deck

Gold items:
Seats, door panels, rear panels, visors

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

cataclysm80

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on March 31, 2017, 12:24:14 PM
. I've collected all of the red trim pieces.

Wow, I bet those were difficult to find?
Do you have any pics of them?

Blake@diyhemi.com

It wasn't too bad. I acquired the front pieces a year or so ago. Then I made a post on cc.com in search of rear inserts and a member had extras. I lucked up!!

I need to log in and refresh my mind on who it was. He packaged and labeled them beautifully.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

EB3-GranCoupe

I like your idea of keeping the GC interior color scheme.  Here is a pic of FY4 on a cuda, if you wanted to keep the color too (A great color imho) I think it would look great with AAR package:

Blake@diyhemi.com

Oh man, that's sharp!

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

RusTy/SE

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach