Main Menu

part number confirmation

Started by cuda hunter, August 05, 2017, 05:05:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Looking at budges after paint is done can be deceiving and not tell the truth about what is under it.  I've stripped down a few cars in my life and I'm always amazed about what I find.  Unless we are able to see bare metal fenders to compare I'm not sure we will ever have a true answer to the question of what is different about the part numbers.

Thinking out loud, we know the factory parts catalog lists the T/A special fender with F60 x 14".  We know T/A's got 15" wheels so right there we can not believe everything in the catalog.  There is 3 differences in 1970 challenger fenders that are easy to see.  Fender without a rolled lip, fender with a rolled lip and fender without the antenna hole (t/a).    And there are 3 different part numbers for 1970 Challenger fenders.  Could it be that simple?

6bblgt

I think all NOS Challenger fenders will be w/o antennae hole

ChallengerHK

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 08, 2017, 01:11:12 PM
I think all NOS Challenger fenders will be w/o antennae hole

MY NOS replacement fender had no antenna hole.

340challconvert

Quote from: ChallengerHK on August 08, 2017, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 05, 2017, 05:35:12 PM
It would have to be an over the counter fender to have the number like that, right?  And didn't they use a reddish brown primer?  I've not seen black NOS primer before.   :notsure:  The part number should be in the parts book, right?

I ordered an NOS fender in the early 80s which was primered black.
I went to check on my 624-625 fenders.
One was primed black, the other in gray, both w the part numbers in white block and part stickers still intact

Not to belabor the point, but an e body owner on one of the enthusiast web sites posted a picture comparing fenders
One clearly showed a "bump out" over the wheel well.  It was not a custom modification.
I will look for the pic[/b]

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Shane Kelley

Like Cody had mentioned. Pics on the orange TA are on a car that has been restored. Maybe the fender was straightened or maybe not. I can't say for sure. I would like to see the pic your referring to. 

cataclysm80

340challconvert

I have the opportunity to compare and measure my 624 rt  side fender with the original rt side fender to see if there is a physical difference. 

My car was an early A66 convertible (October 1969) with the factory 15" wheels. It should be interesting to see if they are the same or different regarding this "bump out over the center of the wheel well?

Of course both my NOS fenders have the "notch" and have the altered location for the hood bumpers.

Never thought about it when I grabbed them in 1980, sitting in the back of a Dodge dealership.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 08, 2017, 12:54:31 PM
we know the factory parts catalog lists the T/A special fender with F60 x 14".  We know T/A's got 15" wheels so right there we can not believe everything in the catalog.

Yeah, the parts catalog lists those fenders as being specifically for Trans Am Challengers with F60x14 tires.

Trans Am Challengers originally received E60x15 tires though. 

Seems odd to have a special fender for an application that wasn't available from the factory. 
Could this be a part that was only ever available over the counter?
Maybe there's just some wrong info in the parts catalog?
Since this is a 70-71 parts catalog, maybe this part was created for 1971 T/A cars prior to their being cancelled?  Were 71 T/As supposed to have F60x14 tires?

We know the fender actually exists though, because 340challconvert has one.
:thinking:

cataclysm80

Quote from: 340challconvert on August 08, 2017, 09:19:51 AM
I remember seeing a picture of someone comparing a TA fender with a 71 RT Challenger specific to the fender profile.
One of the fenders had a visible bulge outward above the wheel well.
I will look and see if I still have the picture!

Quote from: 340challconvert on August 09, 2017, 08:36:21 AM
Not to belabor the point, but an e body owner on one of the enthusiast web sites posted a picture comparing fenders
One clearly showed a "bump out" over the wheel well.  It was not a custom modification.
I will look for the pic[/b]

I saw the same info posted in the E-Bodies Facebook group.  Apparently, it came from a lengthy conversation on the Cuda-Challenger forum.  I'm not a member there, and didn't read the whole thing.
The story was that it was difficult to see the difference, and the best way of noticing it was to lay a straightedge horizontally (longitudinally) against the fender between the body line and the wheel opening.

I haven't had a chance to personally check this on a real T/A yet, but I look forward to trying.

Here is the pic that was provided with the discussion.
In this pic, the blue car on the left is claimed to have a T/A fender installed.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Gray fender looks pretty normal o me, Orange fender appears to be pushed in...