Main Menu

part number confirmation

Started by cuda hunter, August 05, 2017, 05:05:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Also the location of the adjustable hood bump stop has changed. Look at the yellow fender compared to the red fender and they both have the notch. :alan2cents: I've dealt with this many times when converting 71 fenders into 70 fenders.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Yes, that would look most correct on a 1971 Challenger.  :alan2cents:

Quote from: cuda hunter on August 06, 2017, 06:24:19 AM
It appears that this fender has the notch.   Which would make it a 71 correct?

RUNCHARGER

71 fender, relatively easy to make into a 70. I had a set of aftermarket fenders on my green car and personally if this fender has no signs of damage of any kind I would pay close to $800 for it (although $800 is certainly at the top of the value scale) rather than use an aftermarket one but that's just me. Also some of those parts counter fenders needed work to fit correctly so there may be some time involved in making it usable.
Sheldon

71GranCoupe

Back in the 80's I was stopping by the local Dodge dealer almost on a weekly basis. Over the counter oem metal came in both red and black primer. Last fender I bought was black and was notched. Also, at that late date it time, all fenders came with the notch, even if ordering for a 70. As said above it was changed for the upcoming 72 and up style. The notch did not effect the application, even though it did not match a true 70 fender.

My 71 vert , 926 spd has the 70 style fenders.

If the fender is without major flaws, I would rather pay 800 for an original than a re-pop.

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on August 06, 2017, 06:36:27 AM
Also the location of the adjustable hood bump stop has changed. Look at the yellow fender compared to the red fender and they both have the notch. :alan2cents: I've dealt with this many times when converting 71 fenders into 70 fenders.

I agree, the adjustable hood bump stop also moved. 
That makes the yellow fender @Cuda Cody  posted particularly interesting because it has the notch, but not the relocated hood bump stop.
I thought both changes happened at the same time, but Cody's pic must be mid changeover, unless that car's been messed with.
What's the build date on that yellow car?

340challconvert

I had the same experience as 71 GranCoup
In early 1980 I would frequently visit my Dodge Dealer and found two 1970 listed left and right side fenders in a factory black primer.
Numbers stamped on back were the 624 and 625 fenders. My fenders have the 71 notch
The old interchange manuals listed these numbers as 1970-71 Challenger T/A w notes: "Special wheel-well radius. Production fenders will not fit"
I always thought that the factory at this point just made the 624-625 fenders as replacements for all 70-71 Challengers.
Still have the pair in the factory black primer.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda Cody

Sorry, I do not know.  Just a photo I used as a reference to show the notch.

Quote from: cataclysm80 on August 06, 2017, 03:16:13 PM
What's the build date on that yellow car?

RUNCHARGER

Wow: I thought I was the only one. In 1978 I ordered new fenders for my FM3 car at the Dodge dealer. I couldn't believe I had about 3 choices per side. I do remember I ordered them for 15 inch wheels and they of course had the 72 cutouts in them.
Sheldon

340challconvert

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 06, 2017, 03:58:50 PM
Wow: I thought I was the only one. In 1978 I ordered new fenders for my FM3 car at the Dodge dealer. I couldn't believe I had about 3 choices per side. I do remember I ordered them for 15 inch wheels and they of course had the 72 cutouts in them.

Runcharger
The dealer actually had the two fenders laying around in the back of their stock room and I grabbed them  at the time.  They both still have the white numbers as well as the part number stickers.
My car still has the factory 15x7 rallye wheels on it (early A66 car) so I grabbed the 15" fenders. 
It looks like the wheel lip is also different.

I also still have the original 70 fender on the right side, I sold the left original long ago.(wish I didn't)
They both need/needed a rust patch on the back bottom.
I often thought about just welding a patch on the notch to look as a 1970 fender should.

cuda hunter

Quote from: 340challconvert on August 06, 2017, 03:43:49 PM
In early 1980 I would frequently visit my Dodge Dealer and found two 1970 listed left and right side fenders in a factory black primer.
Numbers stamped on back were the 624 and 625 fenders. My fenders have the 71 notch
The old interchange manuals listed these numbers as 1970-71 Challenger T/A w notes: "Special wheel-well radius. Production fenders will not fit"
I always thought that the factory at this point just made the 624-625 fenders as replacements for all 70-71 Challengers.

It appears that the fender in the picture does not have a rolled inner lip.  Am I just seeing a picture illusion? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

There's another detail change no one has mentioned... The stiffening ribs on the bolt flange changed profile... I've seen 70 no notch fenders with both profiles.....

cataclysm80

Quote from: cuda hunter on August 06, 2017, 07:57:09 PM

It appears that the fender in the picture does not have a rolled inner lip.  Am I just seeing a picture illusion?

Apparently with the T/A, rolling the lip like they did with the Hemi cars didn't provide enough clearance.  Instead, they shaped the fender differently to get the needed clearance.  That's why the fenders are T/A specific, and not the same as the Hemi fenders that had previously been developed.

340challconvert

Quote from: cataclysm80 on August 06, 2017, 09:00:55 PM
Quote from: cuda hunter on August 06, 2017, 07:57:09 PM

Apparently with the T/A, rolling the lip like they did with the Hemi cars didn't provide enough clearance.  Instead, they shaped the fender differently to get the needed clearance.  That's why the fenders are T/A specific, and not the same as the Hemi fenders that had previously been developed.

I remember seeing a picture of someone comparing a TA fender with a 71 RT Challenger specific to the fender profile.
One of the fenders had a visible bulge outward above the wheel well.
I will look and see if I still have the picture!

Shane Kelley

Orange one on left is original 70 T/A and one on the right is original 70 R/T. Both are 15" fender cars. The T/A doesn't bulge out on the side. It has the same shape as the RT.

ChallengerHK

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 05, 2017, 05:35:12 PM
It would have to be an over the counter fender to have the number like that, right?  And didn't they use a reddish brown primer?  I've not seen black NOS primer before.   :notsure:  The part number should be in the parts book, right?

I ordered an NOS fender in the early 80s which was primered black.