Main Menu

Should I get a repop fender tag?

Started by Fastmark, June 03, 2019, 04:10:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fastmark

I'm trying to buy an AAR Cuda from a friend of mine. It's a car I've known about since about 1977. For some unknown reason, the guy my friend bought this car from,  (another friend of mine) removed the fender tag. He left the TRANS AM tag for some reason. This car has been changed from several original options. It's now a 4 speed and Orange with white interior. I have no intention of keeping the car. I want it for some of the extra parts he has with the car and he wants to find a restored 340 cuda with air. So, I'm sure if I sell it,  someone will have a tag made to reflect whatever options they desire. So, if I have a tag made reflecting the options that I know were on the car and make it known, at least the car will not have the taint of outright fraud. I know I can't get the SPD and VON numbers right but at least I could get the paint and transmission correct. I have not bought the car so I don't feel I can release the vin. Opinion? Btw,  this car is not on any registry. I've recently met and becomes friends with the guy that bought it 73 that sold it to the guy that lost the tag. It was all there when he bought car.

Bpret

It wouldn't stop someone from throwing out the tag you just made and making one with whatever options they wanted. What are the original color combos and options you know to be true? Is there a chance there is a build sheet? Does it still have its original engine.

anlauto

The value of the car will not change from no original tag to a in-correct reproduction tag, so you're just throwing away money in my opinion if you're just going to flip it.

Trying to protect the world from future fraud is noble, but also impossible :alan2cents:

Once you buy the car, make the VIN public with your knowledge of the history of the car and hope for the best  :dunno:

There's plenty of market for fully documented number's matching AAR's all the way to no tags, no numbers cars and everything in between. The lack of documentation will be reflected in the selling price as we mentioned in the other thread.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

Probably sound advice. It is probably not going to work because the buy in will be too much for a car with these going wrong for it. I always have people wanting to buy my car that never ask anything about the details. If it looks good or cheap enough, who knows?

RUNCHARGER

I wouldn't especially not knowing the date. I had a repop tag made for my orange car but only because I had the original to copy from.
Sheldon

750-h2

Have you checked the usual places for the Broadcast Sheet?

70 Challenger Lover

I had one made for my 70 R/T and while a little expensive, I don't regret it. I wanted to memorialize all the options (really lack of options is more accurate) and at the time, I planned to keep the car. Now I'm considering selling it and I will definitely be honest about the tag being a repop. To a potential buyer, I think it means almost nothing but they are free to remove it and throw it away after they buy the car.

I think if you are planning to sell it, I wouldn't bother. Let the new owner make one if it's important to them.

fc7cuda

Quote from: TX9AAR on June 03, 2019, 08:09:47 AM
If you get a tag made a future owner can toss it in the trash. You don't know the VON or the made date so the tag won't be accurate. The car has already had two major changes F?6 to orange and auto to 4 speed, was this a column shifted automatic? the color change and 4speed are the 2 biggest changes you can make that affect the value. If you are concerned with future fraud the best thing to do would be put the car in the registries tell them what options were on the car originally.  Who knows maybe one of the registries has a broadcast sheet for your friends car that was found in another car.

https://www.transamcuda.com/

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

http://galengovier.com/

:iagree:  Don't get a tag made.  You wouldn't want another hassle on your hands if someone accuses you of fraud if the original tag shows up.  What you "remember" being correct about he car is lost from you to the next owner.  Sad, but as cars change hands, options and history can sometimes be only word of mouth and not proven factually.  :alan2cents:

PS - Good to see you over the weekend, wish we had more time to visit.

Fastmark

I know this car about as well as my own. I helped him buy it. I doubt the tag will ever surface. I know who tossed it. Not surprised what happened to the orig seats and block but we never got them. F4 green with black interior and floor auto. I have the TA steering box from it on my car. It might have had the light group but I'd have to look . Other than that, just an AAR. Someone will get a tag someday and it won't be like this!