Main Menu

Understanding Engine Assembly Plant Codes, VIN stamps and more

Started by mtull, October 13, 2023, 03:37:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on October 17, 2023, 06:50:50 PM
Another sample of mine...

I see the block was cast May 14, 1969 and assembled November 3.  Is the 'B' seen in your pic and in the one 6bblgt posted indicate the block was assembled at the Hamtramck plant? 

cuda hunter

Here is a warranty or service block that I own.  No tag to determine it's origins.

Any thoughts? Or explanation for the S stamp?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

Quote from: mtull on October 18, 2023, 04:53:40 AM
Is the 'B' seen in your pic and in the one 6bblgt posted indicate the block was assembled at the Hamtramck plant?

all muscle car era 383/440s were assembled at Chrysler's TRENTON, MI Engine Assembly Plant

I believe the random "A" "B" "C" stampings seen on some top pads are the builder's reference to the piston bore sizes that are also seen painted on the sides of blocks

mtull

Interesting differences in the stampings.  This blocks casting date is 11-12-69

cuda hunter

S is for service.
So, there is a W stamped on the pad above the S.
Would that signify a service block that was used for warranty?
Or is that just a builders stamp that is inconsequential? 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

"WT" is for water test - pressure testing the block before assembly

cuda hunter

Thank you.  I see it now. 
Your wealth of information is astounding. 

JH27N0B

I have a guy real interested in my NOM 71 V code and wants me to verify a few things on the engine.  My engine was advertised as being "date correct" when I bought the car, and a potential buyer a few years ago told me he did some homework and found that claim true.
I need to take a picture of the assembly date on my engine to send to the potential buyer and decipher it.  I assume it should be "G" for 71 and then there will be 2 numbers for month and day?  My cars SBD is late october of 70, so something like G 10-02 would be a date correct 440 for my car as an example?
And its on a pad on the front below a cylinder head?

mtull

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 26, 2024, 09:20:57 AMAnd its on a pad on the front below a cylinder head?

Attached image shows location of assembly date stamp.  Yes, "G" is 1971.  Yes, the date format is mm dd.  The block casting date and VIN pad should be visible from underneath the right side of the car.

B / RB Engine Blocks

cuda hunter

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 18, 2023, 08:51:41 AM
Quote from: mtull on October 18, 2023, 04:53:40 AMIs the 'B' seen in your pic and in the one 6bblgt posted indicate the block was assembled at the Hamtramck plant?

all muscle car era 383/440s were assembled at Chrysler's TRENTON, MI Engine Assembly Plant

I believe the random "A" "B" "C" stampings seen on some top pads are the builder's reference to the piston bore sizes that are also seen painted on the sides of blocks

These may help with the other pad stamps.