Main Menu

VIN for sale

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, November 16, 2020, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

RUNCHARGER

10 bids for a 318 VIN tag. Pretty sad actually.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Seems like a lot of money just to create a base model barracuda but then again, it is a 71

anlauto

Some people might have a car needing a number ILLEGAL I know, but it does happen.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Since the photographs show the VIN, BH23G1B181236, I'm sure the number is listed in several registries by now. And if a car appears in the future with that VIN, it will be quickly scorned.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Where do you find a list of these VINs that should be 'retired' and not renter service?

Seems to me that you could resurrect a dead car like this, assuming it is not in some DMV database as salvage, and put it back on the road with 99.9% of the world being oblivious to what you did. Most cars trade hands without ever being researched or discussed in forum settings like this one. So how does a potential future buyer of this car become aware of it?

TGGodfrey

This really pisses me off to see people get away with crap like this.

The biggest issue is that a lot of people do not know about the registries and some poor sap will get taken eventually.

70 Challenger Lover

So where are these registries? I have a friend looking for a nice driver e body car but many don't have matching numbers anymore so how can the average Joe protect himself from this?

JH27N0B

Some here don't like him, but Barry Washington's Hamtramck registry is the most comprehensive E body database and Barry really despises anyone who tries to sell fake or rebodied cars. 
Dan here also is an avid collector of data and is familiar with a lot of fake or misrepresented cars.
Galen Govier has a huge registry but is hard to contact and won't even greet you without charging you for the privilege.  Unless you are a high roller asking about a top car he might not even talk to you.

70vert

Quote from: TGGodfrey on November 17, 2020, 01:11:29 PM

The biggest issue is that a lot of people do not know about the registries and some poor sap will get taken eventually.

Me too, in fact I wish I knew where to report it because selling a VIN is illegal.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 17, 2020, 02:52:07 PM
Some here don't like him, but Barry Washington's Hamtramck registry is the most comprehensive E body database and Barry really despises anyone who tries to sell fake or rebodied cars. 
Dan here also is an avid collector of data and is familiar with a lot of fake or misrepresented cars.
Galen Govier has a huge registry but is hard to contact and won't even greet you without charging you for the privilege.  Unless you are a high roller asking about a top car he might not even talk to you.

So I guess what I'm getting at is who would really know? None of those guys are checking into the forums or Facebook groups sharing that information. If a buyer didn't actually reach out to any of them, it would fly under everyone's radar. Would it not?

SgtSuperbird

As a start, the eBay ad can be reported for possible removal by eBay. Their reporting program sucks - I actually used it last night reporting an auction.

CNUMB

I totally agree... Is this even Legal???

70vert

Quote from: CNUMB on November 17, 2020, 04:53:12 PM

I totally agree... Is this even Legal???

No it is not legal. I'm pretty surprised he is selling on ebay but probably does not realize it is illegal. I imagine most of the time these are discovered at car shows as not legit, but as mentioned this is not a high value car (like a Hemi R/T) so probably would never see an issue.