Main Menu

Volunteers needed to test the new Fender Tag Decoder

Started by Cuda Cody, June 13, 2017, 10:08:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Just ran my 1970 RT/SE tag with no problems. Thanks and very cool tool to have.  :ohyeah:

Cuda Cody

In an effort to be as detailed and specific as possible, we are building each decoder for the exact specific year.  That's the only way we can get them to the quality and accuracy level that we are shooting for.  So yes, the 1971 fender tags will work in the 1970 decoder, but the codes changed slightly from 1970 to 1971 and as you pointed out they started using the single letters for the build specs.  So the 1971 Decoders will be added soon to handle all the changes.

We didn't want to build the same simplistic decoder that others have.  Our decoder is designed to be extremely accurate and detailed for you exact car based on the model year.   :drinkingbud:

Quote from: jamesroney on June 13, 2017, 01:24:41 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 13, 2017, 11:20:22 AM
Thank you!  the 26 has been an issue for us as it only takes up 2 boxes and can be anywhere in the sales codes.  I'll work on getting it fixed.  Appreciate the help.   :drinkingbud:

Quote from: jamesroney on June 13, 2017, 11:18:55 AM
My tag decoded fine, but it resulted in an "unknown" for the 26 inch radiator core support.

I have a " 26 END" in the 5th row.  All of the other rows worked fine.
As a test case,  this fender tag is also problematic..  I don't know if you can deal with the single "U."

R26 EN2
  M88 N41 N42 N85 N96
G11 J25 J45 M21 M25 M31
V1W  U  A62 B51 C16 C55
GB5 SRX9 000 C17 046069
E87 D32 BS23 V1B 25xxxx

A.Gramz

I'm in no way trying to be negative. (I think what you and whoever is helping are doing great things) it's more just for my knowledge.  But couldn't you use just one decoder but have the program check the year digit then use that to choose what code file to use for break down.  Im not a coder so I'm not sure how complicated it would be or easy as a couple if's.  :notsure:  I just think it would be easier for the noob to not make any mistakes.   

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 13, 2017, 02:07:15 PM
In an effort to be as detailed and specific as possible, we are building each decoder for the exact specific year.  That's the only way we can get them to the quality and accuracy level that we are shooting for.  So yes, the 1971 fender tags will work in the 1970 decoder, but the codes changed slightly from 1970 to 1971 and as you pointed out they started using the single letters for the build specs.  So the 1971 Decoders will be added soon to handle all the changes.

We didn't want to build the same simplistic decoder that others have.  Our decoder is designed to be extremely accurate and detailed for you exact car based on the model year.   :drinkingbud:

Quote from: jamesroney on June 13, 2017, 01:24:41 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 13, 2017, 11:20:22 AM
Thank you!  the 26 has been an issue for us as it only takes up 2 boxes and can be anywhere in the sales codes.  I'll work on getting it fixed.  Appreciate the help.   :drinkingbud:

Quote from: jamesroney on June 13, 2017, 11:18:55 AM
My tag decoded fine, but it resulted in an "unknown" for the 26 inch radiator core support.

I have a " 26 END" in the 5th row.  All of the other rows worked fine.
As a test case,  this fender tag is also problematic..  I don't know if you can deal with the single "U."

R26 EN2
  M88 N41 N42 N85 N96
G11 J25 J45 M21 M25 M31
V1W  U  A62 B51 C16 C55
GB5 SRX9 000 C17 046069
E87 D32 BS23 V1B 25xxxx

Cuda Cody

That is one of the ways we looked at programming it, but in the end it was easier to work with one year at a time.  I appreciate your thoughts and help.   :slapme5:

Quote from: A.Gramz on June 13, 2017, 04:16:13 PM
I'm in no way trying to be negative. (I think what you and whoever is helping are doing great things) it's more just for my knowledge.  But couldn't you use just one decoder but have the program check the year digit then use that to choose what code file to use for break down.  Im not a coder so I'm not sure how complicated it would be or easy as a couple if's.  :notsure:  I just think it would be easier for the noob to not make any mistakes.   

71GranCoupe

Cuda Cody

Thank you for mentioning that.  We are posting the special instructions for 2 tag cars.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on June 14, 2017, 12:43:31 PM
Any special thing for two tag cars? :clueless:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 14, 2017, 12:47:47 PM
Thank you for mentioning that.  We are posting the special instructions for 2 tag cars.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on June 14, 2017, 12:43:31 PM
Any special thing for two tag cars? :clueless:

Cool. Should have known you were on top of it.  :banana:

70/6chall

OK! Cody I volunteered up my abbreviated body tag for your tag decoder. Man, this decoding tool rocks. I have decoded mine many times for kicks using one of Goviers books and other sources, also decoded others tags for my own personal info. But, yours breaks it down with no excuses. Cole should enjoy this as well, because his tag is just as abbreviated as mine. My tag checks out just great I agree with its findings. I do have though a code that comes up unknown, M24, it seems like it's in the molding group, but not sure, there is a faint #4 stamping between SBD and the VON, also an inspectors stamp #14 at top of tag.  Thanks,   Al

6bblgt

take it off the inner fender and look at it from the back - lots of paint on that tag

I see "M21"

70/6chall

Thanks Dan, I'll pull the tag, check it from the back, you're right lotta paint build up on that thing. Thanks,   Al

70/6chall

You know Dan, highly possible M21, Roof rail drip moldings. Out of all the E-bodies I've looked at over the years I don't believe I've ever seen one without drip rail moldings. I figured they all came with this feature and didn't have to be coded for it.   Thanks,   Al

70vcodecuda

looks good Cody, the only issue I had was the codes didn't want to center in the box. I went and clicked each box again and then they centered up.
Very cool and professional  :fingerscrossed:

HR738

anlauto

If we're making suggestions....I have an idea but don't know the answer.....

What I love best about this new decoder, and the BCS one as well, is the very nice document that you get at the end that is certainly "display worthy" however what I don't like is that it ends up on two or more pages....Wouldn't it be nice if the info could be all on one nice page you could display in your window ?

Again...I don't know the solution....maybe smaller font and two columns ?  just thinking out loud.... :thinking:

Great work Cody :slapme5:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ec_co

great work as usual! my simple tag decoded just fine
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came