Main Menu

1970 Challenger 440-6 V code Opinions

Started by mopargem, June 24, 2017, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopargem

Hey guys what's your thoughts on this V code Challenger. I happen to like this B3 color. This same car sold this spring on eBay for much less but now a dealer has it. It really needs full restoration and there are lots of things wrong. What do your eyes see good or bad and what is it worth.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=152591986315

RUNCHARGER

I'm thinking it tops out at $40k for the right guy. The right guy is someone who will drive it as is and enjoy it that way. If you want a perfectly restored car you are probably better off paying less for a lesser condition car that isn't as presentable as this one if that makes any sense?
Sheldon

anlauto

Unfortunately it's one of those "in between" cars. It's already priced high for the driver quality that it is. If someone were to give that price they would have to be very happy with it's current quality and be happy just driving it and enjoying it.

It's too nice and priced too high to be considered a restoration project.

I think it would be a beautiful car fully restored, but again, not very desirable for it's lack of options and a "love it or hate it" colour combo. Would do much better being a lime green four speed car. :alan2cents:

I could probably do a full restoration on a car like this for $50K, but having $96K total investment wouldn't really pay off as a smart investment.....for another $39K you could get the shaker Challenger advertised on my web site already restored :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

:iagree: the 440+6 automatic Challengers without original drivetrains end up in "NO Man's Land"

high on the pecking order and too cool to be "affordable" & too plentiful to attract big money collectors

RUNCHARGER

So true: I think bang for the buck for a guy like me that likes multi carb cars, the Challenger V-code is great value.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Beside being what I think is a super awesome color and most of us already know the desirability of V-Code Six Packs, I'll focus on what I see that stands out to me. 

• Non Numbers block, but it does look like a real service engine
  • Hood is not a 1970 and the alignment is not great.  It has the 1971-1974 crumple zones
  • Hood hinges are not 1970. The 1970 hinges have a smaller top bar with 5/16 bolts that hold the hood, (If I Recall) the 1971-1972 have a larger bar with 3/8" bolts and teeth in the pivot area and the 73-74 have no teeth and 2 large pivot points.
  • Passenger Quarter looks to have been replaced
  • Front grille is painted wrong.  The black area should have the last 2 ribs closest to the egg grate center left unpainted
  • Looks like someone drilled the firewall out for a shaker cable at some point
  • Rear Deck Lid gaps fit poorly, makes me think about why and does it have to do with the passenger quarter being replaced?
  • 1970 should have the Ball shifter, not the T handle, but has the correct 1970 top plate that only has 4 screws (1971+ had 5 screws)
  • Seat rails look a little crusty
  • Steering column has an after market flasher, in 1970 they had text that said "Flasher" with an arrow and the word "ON"
  • Wrong Radiator
  • No Cowl Seal and the cowl should be painted black
  • Engine inspection covers should be black and they are body color right now
  • Radiator Support should also be blacked out
  • Missing reset knob on rallye gauge
  • Radio trim is cracked in half
  • Turn Signal switch looks to be hanging low.  Might not be working?

@mopargem  The underside looks pretty solid, but would need to look it over really good.  It's a great car to restore, but you have to pay a lot less then what they are asking.  I think the car is a low 30's as it is.  They might get close to $40k if someone wants to drive it and enjoy it for 10 years and then decide if they want to restore it, but $46k seems high to me for what is there.   :alan2cents:  Hope that helps.

Also, please understand I do like the car a lot.  I can pick my own cars over with a list that long or longer of things that I think need work or fixed.  So that list of things is not meant to stop anyone from buying it, just sharing everything I see at a quick glance so they might know what to expect if they buy the car.

fc7cuda

:iagree:

The car is about 35 miles from me if I can help, either preview it or view with you. LMK  :cheers:

Also, there was/is a 71-6pack Challenger 4sp in B-5 Bright Blue for sale around here afew months back that would be a better deal/value then this one.  :alan2cents:

Tom

6bblgt

Quote from: fc7cuda on June 25, 2017, 05:11:12 AM
Also, there was/is a 71-6pack Challenger 4sp in B-5 Bright Blue for sale around here afew months back that would be a better deal/value then this one.  :alan2cents:

Tom

I believe one of Greg Nelson's buddies ended up with that one.

mopargem

Thx all  :bigthumb: Not to mention the speedometer needle is broken too  :(  lots of stuff wrong with this car but I still like it but mid thirties is about all I would consider. And I would probably just drive it as is for now until I catch up with my other cars. (Oh wait a minute, you never catch up  :o)