Main Menu

1970 wide-mouth calipers

Started by xx88man, December 13, 2018, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I believe these are 1970 only calipers for disc brakes. They appear to be in good condition but should probably be considered cores. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Can anyone here tell what the date codes are? Thanks in advance
Keep yer foot in it

JH27N0B

Your pictures show a casting date that was a plate screwed into the core when the molds for the casting were made.  I've never been sure how to read those.  But the important date code was the assembly date of the caliper, and that would have been stamped into the casting when the caliper was built at the plant.  I just looked at a couple small mouth rebuilt calipers I have here, and on one the numbers were too obliterated after several cycles of rusting and sandblasting when getting commercially rebuilt to read, and the other isn't much better!  But as I recall there are 4 digits similar to how master cylinders are date coded, one number for the year, like a 9 or 0, and 3 digits for the day of the year.
Look real close and you may be able to find the stamped numbers.

6Pack70

These are from my 70 AAR Cuda.

JH27N0B

Cool pictures of the assembly date codes I was referring to!  :bigthumb:
The first one I couldn't read all the numbers, but the second one looks like 065 0 2.  Probably 65th day of 1970, and the 2 might have been for 2nd shift or line 2 at the plant.
Beginning of March seems like a logical date for a part on an AAR cuda!

6Pack70

Quote from: JH27N0B on December 14, 2018, 08:43:37 AM
Cool pictures of the assembly date codes I was referring to!  :bigthumb:
The first one I couldn't read all the numbers, but the second one looks like 065 0 2.  Probably 65th day of 1970, and the 2 might have been for 2nd shift or line 2 at the plant.
Beginning of March seems like a logical date for a part on an AAR cuda!

First one is 047.  Really hard to get a good pic.  Lol

6bblgt

I've seen cores in the $100 - $200 each range

casting date doesn't include the year

240 = Thursday 8/28/69
274 = Wednesday 10/1/69
12 = Monday  1/12/70 & stamped assembly date 047 0 2 = Monday 2/16/70 2nd shift or line #2
??? =  & stamped assembly date 065 0 2 = Friday 3/6/70 2nd shift or line #2
148 - Thursday 5/28/70 & stamped assembly date 182 0 3 = Wednesday 7/1/70 3rd shift or line #3

6bblgt

:thinking:  it would be interesting to figure out whether the "big mouth" calipers were used on early '71 cars or the "small mouth" calipers were used on late '70 cars

@cudino what calipers are on your August '70 built "red" '71 Challenger R/T  :wave:

6bblgt

mike ketterer

if you are wanting to sell them i would be interested in them. mikeketterer74@gmail.com     thanks

Cudino

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 14, 2018, 10:22:21 AM
  :thinking:  it would be interesting to figure out whether the "big mouth" calipers were used on early '71 cars or the "small mouth" calipers were used on late '70 cars

@cudino what calipers are on your August '70 built "red" '71 Challenger R/T  :wave:
As usual @6bblgt 's intuition is spot-on!  My early built (Aug 1970) survivor '71 Challenger R/T does in fact have the "big mouth" '70-style calipers.  I didn't take the wheels off but they measure approximately 3" wide at the opening of the U.

- Wade

6bblgt

8) K/H (Kelsey Hayes) stamped into the original brake pad  :twothumbsup:

Shoooter

What is a whole set up worth of the wide mouth calipers and the 70 two parts rotors worth?

fc7cuda

Quote from: Shoooter on March 29, 2019, 08:14:20 PM
What is a whole set up worth of the wide mouth calipers and the 70 two parts rotors worth?

Prices are going up on quality cores, as not all cores are rebuildable.  I had some that, once disassembled, were too pitted to be sleeved or rebuilt.

Shoooter

Quote from: fc7cuda on March 30, 2019, 10:16:31 AM
Quote from: Shoooter on March 29, 2019, 08:14:20 PM

Prices are going up on quality cores, as not all cores are rebuildable.  I had some that, once disassembled, were too pitted to be sleeved or rebuilt.

These are in very good shape, there on a very low mileage car