Main Menu

1971 Challenger project car.

Started by Marty, July 22, 2019, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty

I'm going to be putting my 1971 Challenger up for sale and I'd like to get your opinion on what I should ask for it. I just can't pin down a $$$. My lack of knowledge of the Mopar market is the issue.

1971 Challenger. No engine or transmission but was a 318. Was airconditioned. Drum brakes. Needs interior work. The body is straight. The vinyl top was removed and there is no rust damage. Solid floor pans and frame rails. Surface rust underneath from sitting. I bought it in 2015 and it has sat in my shop currently with some work being done now and then but collecting dust mostly. A new trunk pan was installed and a small patch panel in the right lower quarter other than that it's rust-free with OEM panels. The paint is average. The windshield is cracked. I have a new dash pad to go with it. It also has the front and rear stainless window trim. The grill is nice but there is a chunk missing by the front bumper. There are items missing here and there from being stored for many years, so things tend to disappear.

The prior owner told me he pulled it from a body shop in 1993 and it sat ever since in his building till I bought it in 2015. Clear title and registration are current. No build sheet or fender tag.

It's a nice foundation for restoration or modified.

So, let me know what you think.

70 Challenger Lover

Looks like a nice rust free straight car. That's a huge thing in its favor. 71s don't get quite as much as a 70 but they are still in demand. Original grilles are hard to find so definitely do what you can to preserve yours.

I'm not so sure on price but I'll take a guess that it should go for $10k plus mainly because it's clean and straight and rust free. The more parts you have the better but attaching them to the car will help increase price. People get scared when they see a box of parts but if you take a bit of time to hang the stuff back on, it not only makes the car more appealing to buyers but also makes people inclined to pay just a little more for it.

RUNCHARGER

Wild guess, probably wrong but I think in the $15k range by the look of the floor pans.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Buddy sold a very similar 71 last year, he was offered $18K & turned it down, sold it to the guy for $15K instead cause he thought $18K was to much... :crazytalk:  The fact he was only in it $3500 & he kept a truckload of spare parts that came with it might be a factor...

anlauto

I would hope this car would get $15K easy... :takealook:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marty

Thank you. Your replies are very much appreciated!

bcbassfishing

What a great project car.. pretty well a blank canvas to do what ever you want with.  Not that I'm in the market at the moment but snooping around.  Depending on parts for it I'm thinking in the 10-15 range as well.   

Fastmark

$15k is a fair price to someone that has priced any body and paint work.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I'd love to buy this car but it's a bit of a tow for me.
Sheldon

340challconvert

It's been said already;
Looks like a decent car if you can get her at $15k or less  :wrenching:
The clean body is a major plus and saves a lot of money in the long run.
Nice job was done on the trunk pan.
With no fender tag; just make sure the cowl and radiator frame numbers match the VIN on the dash and title!
You never know?

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Marty

Thank you on the trunk pan. Yes, the VINs all match from the title, dash, cowl, and support. I've got a 440 and trans I think I'll throw in the deal too. Time to clear out the shop.To much clutter.

340challconvert

Quote from: Marty on August 04, 2019, 04:27:09 PM
Thank you on the trunk pan. Yes, the VINs all match from the title, dash, cowl, and support. I've got a 440 and trans I think I'll throw in the deal too. Time to clear out the shop.To much clutter.
Throwing in an engine and trans should help the sale.  It is a nice car!
Good luck with the sale.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

js27

I think $15,000.00 with the motor and trans would be a fair deal.
JS27

Shoooter

15k american so 1million canadian