Main Menu

1974 Challenger RT

Started by EddieM, December 31, 2020, 05:29:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

EddieM

Looking for input on a 1974 Challenger RT. Can you please look it over and give me some advice? This will be my first Challenger and I don't have any experience with this make of car. Just joined the forum to get a start on my homework. I would like to come in low so I can see if I like the car. My experience is you don't really know until you own. I am willing because the Challenger has the look I like which is important. I understand the basics of needing the front turn signals, speedo, etc. The beautiful model aside, the car needs a hard look by a sharp MOPAR eye to start. The car is for sale on MuscleCarsforsaleInc.com. Thanks in advance.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

A few custom touches that are not correct for an OE type resto, but otherwise it looks like a pretty clean fun driver that priced right  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

EddieM

Yes, that is the car. I looked at the engine numbers and I was concerned about the last two numbers reversed not matching the VIN. Is that ok?

JH27N0B

Looks like there's a scrape in the drivers side door.
But the price seems reasonable.

EddieM

Hopefully you were referring to the passenger door. I was thinking a ding master would be able to press it out. I will have to get a closer look during the inspection.  I am trying to get as many tips prior to personal inspection. Thanks for the heads up about the door.

blown motor

Just for the record, there was no 74 Challenger R/T. The stripes and spoiler are 71.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

EddieM

That cleared things up. Thats why it is at a low price point. I have a lot to learn. I did not decode it correctly. Mopars are a whole other animal. Thanks again.

anlauto

A 1974 "L'' code 360 Challenger is likely rarer than most Challenger R/T's.  :alan2cents:

Are you looking for an investment car or a fun driver ?

As I said earlier, there's a million little things on this car that are not correct from an OE restored standpoint, but it looks like a fun little cruiser that is reasonably priced.

JH27N0B

Quote from: EddieM on December 31, 2020, 07:16:09 PM
Hopefully you were referring to the passenger door. I was thinking a ding master would be able to press it out. I will have to get a closer look during the inspection.  I am trying to get as many tips prior to personal inspection. Thanks for the heads up about the door.
I guess I was distracted by the model posing by the drivers side.  Scamp on the drivers door, scrape on the passenger door.  :drunk:
As mentioned the stripes and badges are incorrect as the R/T option ended after '71. 72-74 the high performance option was the "rally".  The 360 is actually a rare engine to see in a Challenger or 'cuda, '74 only and they discontinued E production early in '74.

RUNCHARGER

Not an R/T. Very rare car though and at that price the non original additions are not a deal breaker. If you look at the car take a magnet with you and check for bondo particularily in the lower rear quarters, note the rear valance fit. Again I would expect  issues at that price but just be aware of it is all. I've had E-bodies for over 40 years and I would consider buying this one so don't give up on it if you like it but check it out in person and carefully.
Sheldon

HP2

Price is fair. I'd be cautious about it being a cosmetic only restoration. I wouldn't call anything built in '74 investment grade, even with lower production numbers than other years. As a driver, it is probably decent.  Things I noticed:

A plastic dash cap has been installed and then covered with a cloth dash cover.  Original dash is probably a crumbling mess underneath.

Some crustiness up above resonator hangers. Probably not unusual for a FL car, but I'd be concerned this crustiness is also in the lower quarters and trunk extensions. The entire undercarriage being painted black to hide this crust would be a concern.

Air shocks. While not inflated, these could have been at some time and have hammered the crossmember.

Dyslexic VIN on the block is odd. I suppose its possible they actually found a date code correct with a reversed vin, but odds seem very high against that happening.

I'd look closer at the bottom of the bulge that holds the wiper motor. The bottom of these rust out and can also create holes on the inside fo the firewall.  Also look under the package tray in the trunk to see if any rust is there from the window channel and vinyl top trim..

blown motor

Quote from: HP2 on January 01, 2021, 09:06:20 AM

Dyslexic VIN on the block is odd. I suppose its possible they actually found a date code correct with a reversed vin, but odds seem very high against that happening.

I'm very suspicious that that's not the original motor. Someone put a later 360 or a warranty motor in it, stamped the number on the pad and screwed it up.
Just a thought.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

At this price point, who cares really ?

JH27N0B

There's been documented cases where the factory messed up stamping VIN tags, so I'd guess it's possible someone on the line could have messed up stamping the block.  It would be interesting to look at the stamp on the trans to see if it matches the engine.
With a '74 being built as a semi clone instead of a OEM resto I'd be surprised if the people doing the work would go to the trouble of trying to fake stamping numbers on an engine.