Main Menu

6 Barrel Air Cleaner - What's it off & WIW?

Started by Crocha617, May 17, 2019, 08:09:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Crocha617

I got this air Cleaner assembly with a parts car that I bought recently. It was on a TA 6 pack setup but when I looked closely I knew it wasn't correct. Does anyone know what it came off of and what it might be worth?

rftroy

The lid is correct for an AAR, T/A or A12 car.  It has the extra lip around the edge.
Can you post another picture of the underside of the base?  Does it look like it has been cut, or otherwise modified?

Here is a good resource for air cleaner ID:
http://nicksgarage.com/aircleaner2.htm

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

Crocha617

Quote from: rftroy on May 17, 2019, 08:51:29 AM
The lid is correct for an AAR, T/A or A12 car.  It has the extra lip around the edge.
Can you post another picture of the underside of the base?  Does it look like it has been cut, or otherwise modified?

Here is a good resource for air cleaner ID:
http://nicksgarage.com/aircleaner2.htm

Robert

It does not look cut or modified, I couldn't find any stamped numbers anywhere on it, & it does not have any nipples for connecting hoses on the underside. I guess I don't have an underside photo with me so I'll try and grab one later and get it posted. The air cleaner base fits perfectly on an original TA 6 barrel setup and it is very original looking as far as the weight of the steel and the welds etc...

6bblgt

the lid looks like the STANDARD non-FIBERGLASS hood 6bbl lid, in some of the pictures the shadows/filter look like it has the rain-gutter (it doesn't, correct?)

the center is cut/trimmed from an air cleaner - close up s from the bottom may help to ID it as: '69 A12, '70 A53, SHAKER, or a normal Air Grabber/Ramcharger base

mccannix

Its a 6 pack base that has had outer edge trimmed off, be it a TA/AAR base, a 440-6 shaker base or an oval 440-6 pack base.
Definately not an A12 base cut, no outer channel ridges , no tubes in the bridges and non A12 bridges.
Looks to me like someone ruined an AAR base or shaker base judging from the bit of a stepdown ridge seen.
Common practise back in the day.

rftroy

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 17, 2019, 10:04:09 AM
the lid looks like the STANDARD non-FIBERGLASS hood 6bbl lid, in some of the pictures the shadows/filter look like it has the rain-gutter (it doesn't, correct?)

the center is cut/trimmed from an air cleaner - close up s from the bottom may help to ID it as: '69 A12, '70 A53, SHAKER, or a normal Air Grabber/Ramcharger base

I pulled out a couple of lids. Yeah, you're right. Standard lid, although the lip appears to be a bit wide on the pictures.
Cut base.

Edit:  So that no one reading this in the future thinks there is disagreement, I retract my retraction. Was right the first time, and agree with everyone else now,  this is definitely an A-12, Trans Am lid.
RT
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

rftroy

As far as value, which is what you asked, the lid might bring in the $100 neighborhood.

The base has clearly been cut, so it would have to go to the right buyer; someone who just wants a functional 6 pack air cleaner.
I would only pay $25 - 50 tops, but others may go higher. 
Robert

Edit:  As this is now clearly an A-12, TA lid, it's worth much more than $100. How much?  :dunno: $200+? More?
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

6bblgt

the cheapest "NEW" reproduction 6bbl air cleaner w/filter (K&N is $100) is just under $500, IMO what you have is worth ~$200

mccannix

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 17, 2019, 11:21:13 AM
the cheapest "NEW" reproduction 6bbl air cleaner w/filter (K&N is $100) is just under $500, IMO what you have is worth ~$200
:iagree:

Crocha617

I took another look at it and I think you guys are right it was a TA/AAR one that was cut down. Who ever did it did a very nice job you can barely tell it was cut. Here's a few more pictures.

Crocha617

More

6bblgt

that last pic looks like wide "rain gutter" lip A12, AAR & T/A  :rubeyes:

and someone must have purchased left-over T/A based and cut them down for retail sales - there are just too many of these to have been done by a local "hack"

Floyd

That's a pretty good thought.  I have one cut down just like that, and it is surprisingly well done.  I scrounged around and put this setup together for $175.  I use it instead of the shaker after storage/maintenance. Nice to be able to see under there or get it off quickly.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Floyd on May 18, 2019, 04:26:57 AM
That's a pretty good thought.  I have one cut down just like that, and it is surprisingly well done.  I scrounged around and put this setup together for $175.  I use it instead of the shaker after storage/maintenance. Nice to be able to see under there or get it off quickly.

Wow! good price to pick up the setup!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Brads70

Quote from: cuda hunter on May 18, 2019, 07:42:13 AM
Quote from: Floyd on May 18, 2019, 04:26:57 AM

Wow! good price to pick up the setup!

:iagree:  I've been wanting that chrome lid for a few years and can't find one at a reasonable price