Main Menu

68 charger value quick help please

Started by Moprr, June 19, 2019, 12:10:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Gen 3 Chargers are very popular and in high demand, and I get offers for my '68 all the time. I guess for the right price I would let it go. I would rather drive lots of them some of the time than one all the time.

RUNCHARGER

The car in question will likely need $20k CDN in sheetmetal plus bodywork costs and paint in the end. So it would be $30k + $20k + another $20k  and likely higher.
That's why I own a VIper, get a lot more enjoyment out of it rather than cutting rust out, grinding and block sanding. Way better to buy a done car no matter what it is.
Sheldon

DodgeGuy

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 20, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
Way better to buy a done car no matter what it is.

This is a sobering realization that I have come to over the course of the year or so I've been a member here.

At one time I thought I would love to restore an old classic, but given that I have next to zero ability/knowledge when it comes to body work and paint, it's just not going to be practical.

That's OK, because I can still buy ones reasonably priced as our '74 was, which was in good shape body/paintwise, and then work on pretty much everything else if I so desire.

1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

70 Challenger Lover

That has always been the case and a huge subject of debate on many threads. Everyone wants a completely restored car versus one that needs work but throwing down $60k on a nice one isn't in most people's budget. And there are some of us who enjoy working on older cars. We learn by doing, make mistakes and then fix the mistakes as we learn more. Some find therapy in waxing their car while others find therapy in doing the heavier work. And there is a feeling of real accomplishment afterwards.

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 20, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
Way better to buy a done car no matter what it is.

Correction: "Way cheaper to buy a done car" .......I wouldn't say it "better" there's a lot of over priced junk out there.

If you buy and restore a car these days it will cost you a LOT more money, but the satisfaction of know 100% what you have is priceless in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Personally I think there are good arguments no matter which direction you take. Some folks argue that there is no sense ever restoring a car because it's always cheaper to buy one finished but if that was the only viewpoint out there, we wouldn't see the hobby grow. If no one restored cars, parts companies would fold or at least not invest in producing new tooling for harder to find pieces. Remaining unrestored cars would once again become parts cars.

1 Wild R/T

The problem I've always had with buying a done car is you have no idea what might be hiding under the shiny paint....  Well, unless you have photos of the car before and during the restoration.... But honestly even then I've seen cars sold with photos of a different car.....  And I've worked on enough "Restored" cars that were in fact perfumed pigs that I'd have a hard time buying a done car.. And would certainly be doing a through personal inspection....

Brads70

:iagree:  I agree with you 100% but.... the cars that would be the best to buy they are a shrinking pool to draw from as the years go by. That combined with the money these cars bring in various condition if you find a "decent car" at a decent price it would be a wise investment and/or the only chance you might be able to afford to jump into the market.  If I found one needing say a floor pan I'd still consider it over a pristine perfect example at 100k plus.....  Its a different ball game now  as compared to when the cars  were 10-15 years old. I'm guilty of thinking like I was 18 more than once myself LOL.  Each year that passes the supply dwindles..... they aren't making any more of them and it is an iconic car.  :alan2cents:   If I had waited till now to buy a 70 Challenger I wouldn't be able to afford one, same thing with the 68-70 Chargers I believe I have missed the window of opportunity sadly enough 

70 Challenger Lover

I feel the same way about 68 chargers, like I waited too long and missed the boat. But recently I picked up my 71 Barracuda convertible, another of my dream cars that I thought I had also missed the boat on. I probably paid full price at 50k but the car is beautiful and the only issues I've found with it are tiny. In a few more years, it will seem like a bargain because all Mopars go up in price over the long run. I think nice cars at reasonable prices are out there to be had but you have to hunt for them and be patient.