Main Menu

70 A66 Challenger

Started by Choppintime, February 06, 2018, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Choppintime

Limited pictures. Car is pretty damn solid. Missing original engine and has a four speed in it now but originally an auto car.

Vin matches body numbers and title. Unfortunately, no fender tag found and not sure on a broadcast sheet. Car is all there, missing the 15" rallys though.

Looks to have been originally a B2 car. Overall very solid other than lower quarters. There is a 340 in it and it's carb to pan. I haven't looked at it close enough yet to know what vintage the 340 is.

Looks like it was made an RT clone at some point.

WIW ?

anlauto

$10K - $12K depending on rust, it might only be $5K- $7K ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Choppintime

Thanks Alan.

Going to get a real good look at it this weekend. So, if it's solid possibly north of $10K?  Not sure if the broadcast sheet is in the car, plan on looking for it. Lack of broadcast sheet and fender tag is what scares me. I'm wondering if that effects the value substantially?

340challconvert

The A66 Challengers are a favorite of mine.
I currently own an A66 Challenger convertible that I have owned since 1979.
Car was in storage since 1984, just taken out of storage 2 years ago to be restored.
Mine too had the RT emblems on it and the grill blacked out when I bought it in 79.

A66 cars IMO are very cool; (RT optioned cars with a small block in 1970)
If you purchase;  Plans for the car?

Is there a door sticker a showing build date. (early A66 cars would have had a 340 decal on the hood rather then the metal emblem and the 15 in wheels became optional sometime in November 1969)
Is there a clear NJ title with the vin available, assuming vin plate is still on dash?
If a build sheet is available, a data plate could be reproduced accurately.
Value is impacted by lack of documentation.
IF the car is relatively clean[/b], 10k and above would not be out of the question.

Anyway- a cool car.  Looking forward to seeing more of it!
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda Cody

Rust and numbers are going to make the biggest difference on the final price IMO.  I would guess at a low around $5 to $6k and if it had a tag, sheet and numbers I could see it going for around $10k.  B2 would be a rare color too so documents would be very helpful.  Cool car for sure.   :banana:

340challconvert

Just as a sidebar note, you listed B-2 as the original color.
I don't think B-2 blue was available for a Challenger in 1970?
They did have B-3- Ice blue
In 1971, there was a B-2 Light blue metallic (was also called Glacial Blue)
Was the 1970 B-3 same as the 1971 B-2?
Either way, it would have been a rare color for a Challenger.
:thinking:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Choppintime

Thanks guys. I know documentation is key. Hoping to find a broadcast sheet when I get a look at it better.

I think your'e correct about the B2, B3. My buddy initially looked at this car and saw the light blue in areas covered by the current orange. He has a 71 Demon in B2 so he just assumed B2....

I would think it would be a rarer color in a 70 Challenger. Going to see it Saturday, I'll report back.

71383bee

Cool Find!  A66's are well worth restoring to original IMO.  A 4 speed one is on my bucket list for sure. 

Whats the story on the super bee next to it...
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

RUNCHARGER

I am seeing enough to know I personally would not go over $10k on it. IMO the auto drags it down too. It looks like one of those cars where the entire interior is unusable. Check the framerails carefully too.
Sheldon

Choppintime

Super Bee not for sale. Guys is keeping it.

6bblgt

of 38,091 V8 JH23_0 Challengers,  3.5% were EB3 "ice blue metallic" ~1,333 cars

my 6bbl Sport Fury GT was EB3

nsmall

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I cant wait until Sat.  Keep the information coming. 

Choppintime

Ok, got a look at the car. Not as solid as my friend had said. Currently orange/red? Cloned into an RT. Automatic originally but someone did a 4 speed swap. Hump area is cut up. Evidence of B3 everywhere under the orange paint.

I'm not a buyer as I've got too many unfinished projects at this time. Owner is a good guy, I told him I would post the car for sale for him on a few mopar sites. Going to post info and pictures here in the for sale section....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsmall

Sorry it didnt work out.  The hunt is fun.

I somehow stumbled across this today.  I know its not an ebody, but I like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-Mustang-SHELBY/183057440123?hash=item2a9f12dd7b:g:FSkAAOSw8RZablkS&vxp=mtr

RUNCHARGER

The car should sell. He's not too far off the mark and it has a few things going for it. I would not buy it but someone will.
Sheldon