Main Menu

WIW: 440 Six Pack Carburetors and Manifold

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 03, 2022, 12:27:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I have a friend that has 3 sets of six pack carburetors in his shop he is looking to sell.  I am thinking about picking up a set (I am building a second engine for my project).  I found the List numbers and what the applications are for, but I am curious as to whether or not these are original - seems one of the date codes is off to me.  My understanding is the 7 digit part number would be an original, over the counter MOPAR replacement part?  He is asking $2200 OBO a set, and is willing to split them up I think.  He also has a 440 six pack cast iron manifold, 2942675 dated 11 / 69 for sale, $1,100 OBO.  With the price of everything today just wondering if that is the going rate?  I have more pics of the stamps if it matters - thanks

Here is what he has:

Set 1 (on a tri power Corvette manifold and look like they have never been run):
List-4672, 2835 date code (?)
List-4670, 1407 date code, 3512835 part number
List-4672, 1468 date code, 3512837 part number

Set 2 (this would be my application):
List-4393, 0929 date code
List-4391, 0879 date code
List-4394, 0339 date code

Set 3:
List-4382, 2889 date code
List-4376, 0879 date code
List-4383, 0339 date code

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

I think $2200 is on the steep side, but it's been awhile since I've been looking for a set.... Scott  would be the guy to ask...
@ScottSmith_Harms  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

Since I lost my good friend Bill Overcash,  I bought out his remaining stock and started restoring six packs carbs now. I have bought up a sets over the years and just recently, restored quite a few sets and sold them. I've got a lot invested in my carbs and business right. I have about 60 carbs right now.

Set 1 is the currently available carbs still available from Holley..look them up on summit and compare the condition to what you have. If his are perfect then take a little off the price. Your pictures are hard to tell the condition.

Set 2 is correct for a early to mid A12 4 speed car with the exception of the 4393 dated 0339. It MAY. Have been a mis stamped carb from Holley because 0939 is a common date for that number carb. I've got several. Check your date stamp carefully. Value on that set is better with the correct date. It's all about the dates on these sets as to the value.

Set 3 is odd for a 70. Are you sure you have you numbers correct? I've never seen a 4376 dated even close to that early. The same thing for a 4383 dated 0339. Now those could be made in 1979 with those dates.

Double check your dates. I'll send you my email and I can tell you more

Honestly, it's all about the dates. As long as Holley is still making new ones. The later dated issued carbs are not worth anywhere near the old ones dated for assembly line cars. After getting into the community of carb restoration shop, you learn all kinds of things. There are even some very well known carb restorers that send off their carbs to the big shops! They are way too busy. I won't say who, though. I talked to one on the well know shops that restores all brands of carbs that gets $1800 for a set of six pack/Tr͏i͏-power carbs! I'm trying to follow Bills lead and charge less. I started out at $800 a set but my plating, parts and shipping have all gone way up. I'll honor that price on the sets I have in process but I'll re-evaluate that with my next batch.

As far as the overal value of a matched set of carb, again, it all about the numbers. Certain dates bring more more. Early dates are the most valuable. 70 440 carbs can be more scattered out in the dates in each set. 4 speeds can be slightly more valuable. My first set of restored 70 carbs sold for $2400. I bought the cores cheap enough and had the parts that were missing to finish the set so I made money. If cores are selling for $2200, then I am way to cheap. I don't think they are bringing that much. Asking and selling are entirely different. There is a good dated set listed on another site for several weeks at $1800 and he has not sold them yet. When I buy sets I try not to pay over $1200. Add my cost in restoration and I can still make a little. There are always parts missing or bad and Holley is hard to buy from and some parts are just not available. Yes, I see the sets of restored sets asking $4000 and crappy sets on eBay for $2500, but do they sell? Who knows.

Hope this helps but probably not what you friend wants to hear. Contact me if you have anymore questions.

Fastmark

Here is the latest set I've got in process currently. This is a match set of 70 440 4 speed carbs. I've only got the bodies plated so far. I'm still waiting on the steel parts. Just for comparison, I've included a NOS 70 440 carb built on 3119. It's never seen the Sun or gas. I feel I'm very close on my color. Throughout the years and sometimes just the process, Holley had shade variation. Some were very drastic. Especially in the re-issued carbs.
Mark

Eddie

Hello is there another way that I can contact you ?
I'm looking for a 70 set of carburetors, I'm new on this page so not sure how it all works
Let me know
Thanks
Eddie

Blowout

Welcome @Eddie, you can't send a PM until you have at least 10 posts. And if you're trying to get someone's attention on a topic, add the @ symbol before their name.

Eddie

You guys have made this site way to complicated, it's tooken me about 10 years to get on here 🤦‍♂️

Eddie

Let's try this again
@Fastmark is there another way I can contact you through instead of this page?
Let me please
Thanks

JS29

@Eddie   Go to the Welcome section and make six posts, You can start with introducing yourself. after ten posts you can use the PM fetcher.   :alan2cents:

Fastmark

Hey, Eddie. I may not be able to pm you because you are a new guy. I'm not sure. I. Tell you how to reach my email. No, they don't like to post that either in Ope͏n͏ forum, but it's my screen name, 1970, ( insert the"  at "symbol) with yahoo.com. If that does not work, just keep posting till you reach 10.