Main Menu

I Found a Tucked Away Collection For Sale...

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 12, 2020, 07:27:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

@RzeroB as admitted early on, I'm on a serious learning curve with TAs. After 9 ebodies, I've never had much exposure to TAs. Man have I done some learning now though. I credit guys like you, Cody and several others and I deeply appreciate it. I didn't have that casting number before I went to see it, but I think the left front stamping right under the head on the upper front of the block says it pretty well also. No lower case "s" for special/TA. I'm invited to a second viewing of it , and this time on a 4 post lift. Part of me says run. The other says just go get some really good block/trans, and undercarriage pics for the group. Maybe someone here would still want it. It's about a 60 mile round trip, but I enjoy the investigation. I'm too much of a purist, unless he made it really tempting, I'm not that interested in buying it now.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

cuda hunter

I"m sure there are interested parties on the site.  Please investigate further.

That T/A casting will say it all.  Maybe you will just help educate the current owner as to what he really has. 
And what the true value of the car may actually be. 

still curious about the hemi stuff....
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

7E-Bodies

I'd say then that this think is counterfeit.

autoxcuda

There are plenty of T/A and AAR's without original motors, trans, and buildsheets.

If you are waiting for a sublime 4spd T/A all numbers matching with buildsheet AND unrestored so you can afford the buy in price...

You might be waiting a long time.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

RzeroB

There you go ... non TA 340 block. With the info from MMC Detroit's website I noticed that the VIN pad has a "double-bevel" which might indicate that it was re-milled removing the original VIN stampings to facilitate a "restamping" of the VIN. So it doesn't have it's original engine and the block that is in there was probably "restamped" ... gives you some negotiating leverage on the price. Who knows ... the original block could be out there just waiting to be found. I think it's still worth looking into ... sheet metal looks to be in great shape ... and it's a great color combination with some cool options. Note that the only car with it's own emoji on the E-Bodies website is ... a Sublime TA ... that's a sign that you should keep considering it!!  :wrenching:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

7E-Bodies

@autoxcuda agreed, but intentionally faked restamps tend to send me running. I had intended on going there to possibly purchase a package deal involving a supposed authentic hemi car and a separate, complete warranty block 426, so top dollars weren't so much the issue.

autoxcuda

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 18, 2020, 08:03:41 AM
@RzeroB as admitted early on, I'm on a serious learning curve with TAs. After 9 ebodies, I've never had much exposure to TAs. Man have I done some learning now though. I credit guys like you, Cody and several others and I deeply appreciate it. I didn't have that casting number before I went to see it, but I think the left front stamping right under the head on the upper front of the block says it pretty well also. No lower case "s" for special/TA. I'm invited to a second viewing of it , and this time on a 4 post lift. Part of me says run. The other says just go get some really good block/trans, and undercarriage pics for the group. Maybe someone here would still want it. It's about a 60 mile round trip, but I enjoy the investigation. I'm too much of a purist, unless he made it really tempting, I'm not that interested in buying it now.

Most the things you are looking for apply to all Ebodies. All Mopars for that matter. Just other one will have different number, code, etc to look for.

You have yet to really dive into verifying the body. Need to take the cowl screen off and look/feel around the stamping for weld slag join marks. People weld in numbers there.

Then trace the sheet metal stamping front to rear, spot weld joint line to spot weld joint line. To see if floors replaced, car back-halfed, frame rails replaced, torque boxes rear (and front with T/A-AAR?) have factory looking welds...

You're not just checking this car for purchase now... but you're helping yourself purchase others in the future. Knowledge and familiarity learned now  will help you spot and react to good purchases down the road.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

7E-Bodies

@autoxcuda fully agree. Always learning. The hunt is half the fun. The other half is having the kill staring into the trucks rear view mirror when trailering home. Been there.

RUNCHARGER

That car was kind of what I expect from a Non-Mopar guys collection. Too bad, I wouldn't be happy with it as is and working it over would end up costing too much. I'm sure the Hemi Road Runner is similiar condition. Not sure I'd go back for a second look.
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

Another TA question...Did these cars come with special front fenders, or am I thinking Hemi E bodies?

6bblgt

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 18, 2020, 07:56:52 PM
Another TA question...Did these cars come with special front fenders, or am I thinking Hemi E bodies?

some T/A - AAR cars received rolled HEMI FENDERs but it wasn't consistent or required

on the original "TRANS AM" drawing board was a 15x8" wheel & H60-15 tires on all 4-corners - this would've required a "TRANS AM" fender   :woohoo:
:brainiac: but some bean counter killed the idea before production  :crying:

Jim AAR

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 18, 2020, 08:54:22 PM
Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 18, 2020, 07:56:52 PM

some T/A - AAR cars received rolled HEMI FENDERs but it wasn't consistent or required

on the original "TRANS AM" drawing board was a 15x8" wheel & H60-15 tires on all 4-corners - this would've required a "TRANS AM" fender   :woohoo:
:brainiac: but some bean counter killed the idea before production  :crying:

It definitely wasn't consistent, I have a rolled lip on the Passenger side and not the Drivers side and they are both the original fenders for sure because I removed them in the early 80's and snapped almost all the fender studs in the process.   :looney:

6bblgt

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 18, 2020, 04:38:14 AM
So @6bblgt you have a history trail on this car?

I have the data from a now defunct on-line E-body registry from the early 2000s - it simply shows the VIN & in WI for JH23J0B285506