Main Menu

Original 1970 Pistol Grip w/ shifter box

Started by erik70rt, September 16, 2020, 09:40:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I recently picked up a 4 speed trans for my T/A 'vert project, and with it came an original '70 slip in pistol grip and the shifter box.  I already have a NOS bolt in style handle, so I don't really need the 70 shifter.  It is in good condition but needs to be restored.  Pics coming tonight.

What do these go for on the open market as I rarely see them for sale anymore?

If I decide to keep it, who can do a proper restoration on it?  Brewers?  Passon?

Thanks!

Erik
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

anlauto

I send all my shifters back to Hurst for a restoration. They rechrome the handle as well :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RacerX

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2020, 09:42:20 AM
I send all my shifters back to Hurst for a restoration. They rechrome the handle as well :twothumbsup:

Got a link or contact info?     I have heard for many years of Hurst offering this service, but a bit of googling only turned up "shifterdoc.com" and they specify that they are not affiliated with Hurst.

Would like to sent the one for my Challenger in for the treatment, especially if they are rechroming the handle!   

FlatlandTA

Any vin on that trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

Quote from: RacerX on September 16, 2020, 09:52:12 AM

Got a link or contact info?     I have heard for many years of Hurst offering this service, but a bit of googling only turned up "shifterdoc.com" and they specify that they are not affiliated with Hurst.

Would like to sent the one for my Challenger in for the treatment, especially if they are rechroming the handle!

Yup...That's the guy I use !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RacerX

Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2020, 10:17:24 AM

Bummer then, cuz they say that they are currently not doing the rechroming     :crying:

erik70rt

Quote from: FlatlandTA on September 16, 2020, 10:05:30 AM
Any vin on that trans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is but it's not for sale.

DeathProofCuda

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the part numbers for the slip-in vs. the bolt-in pistol grip handles?  I bought an NOS pistol grip handle in the late 80s or early 90s.  The part number on the box is 3467732.  At that time, I didn't know there was any difference in them over the years.

Looks like this one was originally shipped to Arrow Motors in West New York, New Jersey.  Has a UPS stamp on it dated February 1974.

anlauto

Quote from: RacerX on September 16, 2020, 10:21:29 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 16, 2020, 10:17:24 AM

Bummer then, cuz they say that they are currently not doing the rechroming     :crying:

Ahhh that sucks !

Huskidrive

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 16, 2020, 12:37:38 PM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the part numbers for the slip-in vs. the bolt-in pistol grip handles?  I bought an NOS pistol grip handle in the late 80s or early 90s.  The part number on the box is 3467732.  At that time, I didn't know there was any difference in them over the years.

Looks like this one was originally shipped to Arrow Motors in West New York, New Jersey.  Has a UPS stamp on it dated February 1974.

I live 5 blocks from where Arrow Dodge used to be! I bought all my parts there in the 70's and 80's.....small world.....

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Huskidrive on September 16, 2020, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 16, 2020, 12:37:38 PM

I live 5 blocks from where Arrow Dodge used to be! I bought all my parts there in the 70's and 80's.....small world.....

That's cool.  :cheers:  IIRC, I bought this from a guy that worked at Hackensack Spring through a friend of a friend for $50.  Thought that I would eventually use it on my 70 Cuda, but after doing a bit more searching on the web it looks like the one I have is for the later bolt-in mechanism.

mccannix

$50.00 for an NOS handle was a heck of a deal back then.
In the mid 80's I was paying $115.00 dealer/trade price for the NOS bolt-ins.
Part number for 1970 only slide-in handle was 2996461 ,but they went NS-1 in about 1978 and number superceded to 3467732.

DeathProofCuda

erik70rt

So any opinions on the current market value of a 1970 shifter handle and box setup? 

anlauto