Main Menu

WIW - original ‘70 ‘71 Tuff Wheel cap?

Started by YYZ, December 13, 2020, 05:16:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YYZ

Ok, these don't come up too often: an early Tuff Wheel padded cap in black.

There are at least 3 versions of the padded Tuff caps

- early: black only, squared off transition from the sides to the top, thick seams. Chrome base is slightly different as well

- late '70s: Volare/Aspen/Super Coupe/LRT etc.  Black only, transition from side to top is a little more rounded. Seams are not as chunky

- late '70s/early 1980s - Mirada, Cordoba, 300 etc: Colours only. Blue, Tan, Burgundy etc.  Pad is more rounded and dome like, slightly shorter chrome base.  Stitching is flat, and more like a baseball stitch.

71REDCUDA

I have search high and low for an early tuff wheel cap.. in mint condition.. its for an NOS steeringwheel.

How is the chrome on yours ?  Wonder if anyone can restore the padding..

Thanks
Nicklas

anlauto

To answer you email question, I would prefer the plastic cap, but thanks for the offer. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YYZ

Quote from: 71REDCUDA on December 13, 2020, 06:19:52 AM
I have search high and low for an early tuff wheel cap.. in mint condition.. its for an NOS steeringwheel.

How is the chrome on yours ?  Wonder if anyone can restore the padding..

Thanks
Nicklas

I'd say that the chrome is 7.5-8/10. It's not all bubbled up, but you can see imperfections where the base mates to the steering wheel.

As for the pad, IMHO a skilled leather worker should be able to replicate it.  It's not a complex shape, it's a very smooth vinyl grain which is readily available, and it's easy enough to detach the pad from the base.

This one is a little on the dry side. IIRC I bought it at the Van Nuys Spring Fling back in '01 or so...

Topcat

I have one of those in my parts stash. Pretty rare item.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I got one, a little bit rougher than that last year at Indy Swap, with a terrible tuff wheel, for $10.00

It's actually sitting here next to me on the desk.  Worst part was the chrome was flaking off.

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org