Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

blown motor

I bet you were as happy as a jackass eating thistles figuring this all out and making it.  :yes:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on March 08, 2019, 08:05:48 PM
I bet you were as happy as a jackass eating thistles figuring this all out and making it.  :yes:

:rofl: Never heard it put like that before! But ya your right.  :D

303 Mopar

Looking forward to watching this one come together! And please be sure to post lots of pics!

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on March 08, 2019, 08:20:37 PM

Not sure, but it almost seems like Murray called you a jackass......came back from Australia with some attitude...lol :pokeeye:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on March 09, 2019, 06:51:39 PM

Not sure, but it almost seems like Murray called you a jackass......came back from Australia with some attitude...lol :pokeeye:

Might have been a little retaliation about the legs comment? Sensitive old farmer..... :pokeeye: :haha:

blown motor

HP_Cuda

Looks like the machine shop is open for bidness again!

Forgot that Jeep/AMC bellhousing were the same... dang memory is going.

Pretty cool.

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

Well the adapter plate is all done. Next I need to replace the input shaft and install the midplate on the transmission, looks pretty straight forward.  Gold cad plated grade 8 hardware is 7/16 fine thread
( stock is 8mm metric), aluminum adapter plate is tapped but installed longer bolts so I could also add lock washers and nuts on the other side adding more thread strength as it is just 1/2" aluminum plate Pretty cheap way to adapt a t56 to any stock bellhousing. Material was $65 and hardware was about $30. Priced out a custom bellhousing and it was  over $1000 by the time it was in my hands. I've used/worked with quicktime adapter bellhousings in the past and was not all that impressed. warped badly, had to get it blanchard ground flat, and a whole lot of pissing around getting it lined up right.
I'll have to turn up a custom pilot bushing to make up the difference in the 1/2" plate adapter and likely shim up the hyd throwout bearing 1/2" as well. That's the easy part.

YellowThumper

I would be as well...
Oh wait I am. lol

Would there be enough mass and depth to the bell housing to have milled some of the face off to compensate for the added adapter thickness?
Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

Quote from: YellowThumper on March 13, 2019, 08:02:47 PM

I would be as well...
Oh wait I am. lol

Would there be enough mass and depth to the bell housing to have milled some of the face off to compensate for the added adapter thickness?
Mike

No bellhousing is cast, pretty light weight, I'ts from a Jeep application.

ToxicWolf

Congratulations, Brad.  I'm really glad this is moving forward for you now.  No more dreaming about it.  It's all about the working on it now.   :wrenching:

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Thanks guys for the encouragement. Yesterday while my Internet was/is down I dug into the transmission replacing the input shaft. First time for me doing this job but it went pretty smooth. The camaro I harvested the T56 from uses a shorter input shaft so I bought a kit to swap it out. Comes with a new mid plate,  input shaft bearings and shims. I did have to pull it apart 5-6 times to reshim before I got end play correct at .000 to .002" It's all finished sealed up and ready to go now. Next step is to  wait till snow goes and drag the parts car  from beside the house into the drive way and see if I can get the 401 running. I have a used torker intake coming from a member on the AMC forum from CA. The stock intake /carb has been sitting for too long and is not useable IMO. I have a rebuilt  Holley 750 sitting in my parts stash that I'll use for this car.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk