Main Menu

WIW 1968 drum brake master cylinder AANF

Started by mtull, July 07, 2024, 12:29:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

Drum brake master cylinder.  Any thoughts on fair market value? 
- Appears to have been assembled 296th day of 1968?
- AANF cast into the bottom.

Thank you.

JH27N0B

Is it a rebuild or a core?
Nice OEM rebuids were worth $125-200 not too long ago, NOS sometimes brought over $300, but I'm not sure if that is still valid.  That style was used from 67-70 on most Mopars with drum brakes so not super rare.  Plus I get the feeling more people are doing upgrades like adding disc brakes on builds these days versus OEM restos.

mtull

Quote from: JH27N0B on July 07, 2024, 01:30:20 PMIs it a rebuild or a core
It came off a project car but I don't know if it's ever been through the remanufacturing process.  The date stamp and AANF casting lead me to believe it's never been rebuilt but I could easily be wrong.

Thank you for the feedback.

JH27N0B

The AANF is one of the casting numbers OEM Bendix drum MCs had.  There were 3 casting numbers, AANF, 2225601 and another I don't recall off the top of my head.  I don't know why there were multiple casting numbers for this style and would like to know why myself. I can speculate it was because they needed so many of these for the millions of drum brake Mopars made from 67-70 that they had to source castings from multiple sources and each used a different casting number for quality control, or even that Bendix made these at multiple factories to meet the high demand and used different casting numbers at each plant. But again I'll probably never know.
Rebuilders never grind casting numbers off when they rebuild parts, so if there when original it will be there after rebuilding unless the casting was so rusty it got obliterated by the rust.