Main Menu

WIW: 1970 'Cuda 340 4 BBL Auto

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, June 01, 2023, 05:24:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

So I took some advice from the group and started looking locally on different platforms and came across a possible very cool find....

In my search for parts I am always coming across another E-body of some sort and find a regret not buying a couple decent cars I have seen.  Well, I have found a decent rust free BS23 'Cuda, non #s matching 340 4 BBL auto / Dana.  Car is an unrestored driver, supposedly 1 owner since about '74.  Now this is where I have trouble as I have not been back in the e-body world long enough to get a feel for "reasonable" prices.  I am not looking to flip any of the cars I buy, I am looking long term and hopefully they end up in my kids' garages some day.  But I do not want to buy a car that I will have double into what it is worth.

Of course condition plays a factor, but what is a decent, unrestored driver '70 340-4 auto & Dana worth if it is rust free?  Not #s matching, and not a lot of options

Also, supposedly comes with a 40 year horde of parts..... but I am not figuring that into the equation at this point
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

SFEBODY

It is only worth what your willing to pay. If you have the fender tag and/or the build sheet, post it here and we can give you a better understanding of what it could be valued atNadi, Fiji

JH27N0B

Dana rear axles weren't available on 340s (H codes).

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Fender tag makes a difference on value.

Sounds like the entire drive train is non numbers matching.

Seems like there are several barracuda projects all over the internet.
All seem to be between 18K and 25K.    Too much in my opinion.

A paint job is 20K so at 45K with no body work involved and no interior and no installation your pretty much already under water. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

pschlosser

These estimates are conservative and opinion, mine :)

An unrestored ORIGINAL BS23 is worth at least 20-25K, if it wont (IMO) need extensive rust/sheet metal work, AND the fender tag and broadcast sheet are in place.  Even if its pretty much striped of the original parts.  Add 10K for a 440/340, add another 15k if its a 3-2 bbl.  Even more if its documented to come with spiffy options, like a deck lid spoiler or rear window louvers.  And yet more if it comes WITH those rare or spiffy options.  But if its missing those docs, maybe 10k less.

An unrestored BH23 car, like a slant-6 or 318, is at least 10-15K, more if its in good shape. 

When the car is NOT an original something-or-other, regardless of the engine, transmission, rear end and options bolted to it when it's sold, it's then just another clone/tribute car.  Worth less, in most cases, than the original.

I've seen a number of BH23 project cars sell for under 20K in the last year.  Maybe 10 at most.  The others were higher, and in some case, much higher for less value.

I have not seen a Barracuda project car, regardless how rusty and bad it was, sell for under 10K in like.... 10 years.

torredcuda

An "unrestored driver" isn`t much to go on for condition - condition of body/paint, interior door panels, seats, dash, fender tag and build sheet there, color etc. 340 auto is not the most desrirable combo and non-numbers, I would guess it`s worth $20-25k, what you or someone else is willing to pay is a whole different conversation.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70_440-6Cuda

I know there are lots of variables, but general consensus is helpful as a starting point.  I am making arrangements to go see the car, so details are just from a couple of pics I have seen and what the seller has told me.  Car is complete, in decent unrestored condition - nothing terrible, just old and no rust.  Car has ll of the original trim, gill side moldings etc.  Not sure if there is a fender tag or build sheet, I am assuming not for now. The draw for this one is there is a hoard of original parts he says he has collected over 40 years and won't separate, so that would be a cool find.

I have a "spare" 440-6 and was thinking about picking this car up and doing a "refresh" on the interior and paint (driver quality, not show paint) and build it the way I want as it is not an extremely desirable car, and  I figure a BS23 with a V code, even unoriginal, will be worth something.  Again, not an investment, but dont want to be in a car for $100K and in the end it is worth $25K.

I have yet to find a decent condition Cuda / Barracuda under $50k unless it is a drag car that has been tubbed
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....