Main Menu

WIW? 70 Challenger Convertible 340

Started by 1 Wild R/T, July 07, 2019, 06:40:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Original 6 cylinder car, excellent body
70 340 bored .030 over, .010/.010 crank Edelbrock heads...
518 O/D trans 
Everything new in 2003, garaged since... Very little use...
Lots of pictures...

anlauto

$45K-$50K only thing holding it back would be it's not an original 340 car....the quality of the restoration looks great ! :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Anyone else care to throw a number out?
@JH27N0B  You seem to follow the verts....

Cuda Cody

The restoration looks top notch.  How well has it held up over the last 15 years? 

It's got the right look and with the photos to proof it was done right I think someone will love to own it.  I don't know prices on convertibles, but seems like at least a $50k car, right? :notsure:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 08, 2019, 05:21:15 PM
The restoration looks top notch.  Some Hack did it...How well has it held up over the last 15 years? 

I've been told it still looks great, at some point I may need to fly out & have a look..  When it was first finished it got driven back to Texas & the first couple years he drove it some... But for the last 12 years I don't think it's left the garage....

BTW if the paint daubs on the steering box got anyone wondering no I didn't try to put paint daubs on stuff, it's one of the very last NOS cop car steering boxes which I actually picked up for the car back in the 90's & it sat on a shelf for years till I installed it...

70 Challenger Lover

If it's nice I'd think at least 50k. I paid that for mine and have no regrets on the price. Granted mine is a 71 Barracuda but I'd think the 70 Challenger is very comparable for pricing. Mine is a plain old 318 auto so a 340 would be more desirable to most even if it isn't original to the car.

Rich G.

What's nice is you have before and after picture and it looks like they didn't cut any corners. I'm sure if you added 1/2 the labor into it you'd be way over 50K . I rather judge a car by the quality of the work rather then what the vin tags reads.

JH27N0B

I would have tended to agree with Alan's 40-50K estimate.
However, this past Saturday I was at the cruise in my town and spotted a red '71 Challenger convertible there that looked familiar.  It was the same car I'd admired at the Mecum auction here in Chicago last year, and it turns out its buyer lives in my town!  It's a 318 car, dressed up as a 340, well optioned including AC and cassette with recorder.  Nice looking car and seems good quality. I looked the auction results up today, and it sold for $37,400 which means it bid to $34,000 plus buyer premium.
Well bought, seems low but this gives you a real world value of what a similar car sold for recently.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH1018-333717/1971-dodge-challenger-convertible/

70 Challenger Lover

If you look at the car, it is lot F211 so it sold on a Friday. I've been to Mecum a couple times and what I quickly learned there is buy on Friday but best not to sell on Friday. The crowd is smaller and more shrewd with their purchases. I've seen some killer deals hammer on Friday, especially if it's early in the morning while people are still arriving or checking out the cars outside.

That was a very well bought car for sure but I'm not convinced that that is the real everyday price. Considering the quality of this restoration, I'm still closer to $50k.

ragtopdodge

Sorry, but 1970 'verts (for Challengers) are more desirable than 1971s.

I would put this at $50k as well.   

Fully painted underneath?  Can't tell.

Again, how is the condition of the paint?  Cracks?  Bubbles?

Interesting seat fabric.  I like the 518 trans.  Wonder if it's lockup or not type.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: ragtopdodge on July 12, 2019, 05:49:38 PM
Sorry, but 1970 'verts (for Challengers) are more desirable than 1971s.

I would put this at $50k as well.   

Fully painted underneath?  Can't tell.  Yes, by current methods it should be primer but it was built to drive

Again, how is the condition of the paint?  Cracks?  Bubbles?  From what I've been told it still looks like the day it left my shop...

Interesting seat fabric.  That was NOS 1970 Challenger Salt & Pepper fabric sewn into a white skirt rather then the original black skirt

I like the 518 trans.   Thats the install that originally I posted photos of back in 2001 & they have been reposted in hundreds of threads

Wonder if it's lockup or not type. It's a lock up unit so you feel five rpm drops.... All without flipping a switch just step on the gas & it works

70 Challenger Lover

This one popped up on eBay. It's probably a decent one for comparison although the OD trans would be a nice upgrade to go with the 340. I've been saying 50k but this one has a lower asking price which means it could be had for less.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223584024036

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on July 13, 2019, 08:57:19 AM
This one popped up on eBay. It's probably a decent one for comparison although the OD trans would be a nice upgrade to go with the 340. I've been saying 50k but this one has a lower asking price which means it could be had for less.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223584024036

I can write a shopping list of things wrong with that car that are done to a much higher standard on the car I'm looking at, but your 100% right a similar car for a lower price effects the value of this one.... 

RUNCHARGER

I dunno: Way more wrong than right on that thing and look at the paint quality. It's at a dealer though so some poor sucker will probably pony up way too much for it.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

The only real way you will know is to fly out and check it out.

I've seen too many builds which looked great on camera but then completely came apart in person.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200