Main Menu

70 Challenger - yearone rallye wheels

Started by BAM, October 10, 2021, 02:39:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to order a set of 17-18 rallye wheels from yearone. Can someone advise on the maximum size that will fit under the original wheelhouse?

I'm looking at 17" with a j9  :huh: not knowing if they will fit.

I will have a disc brake install on the front and rear drums. The front is on qa1 full setup and the rear will have a hotchkis lowered leaf spring.

anlauto

I put 8's on the front and 9's on the rear, they only come in 17" :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

YearOne Rallye or Magnum, most people will run a stagger setup shown on their website when they first came out, 8" wide, 4.5" BS with 245/45/17 at the front. 9" wide, 5" BS, 275/40/17 at the back. If you want same size all the way around, no problem with 8" all around. When running 9" front, you need to check clearance of the lower ball joint steering travel, but I kind of recall someone had done it. May be a spacer needed. Check wheel stud length and make sure if you have the required thread engagement. Also get their wheel nuts designed for the wheels.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

7212Mopar

BTW I am running Dr Diff 13" rotor Cobra brake setup. The YO Rallye wheel clears it. 13" disc with Baer, Willwood or Viper calibers might not clear. Should be no problem with stock front disc brakes.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

anlauto

I've run Wilwood 12.9 rotors with 6piston up front and 4piston in the rear with no issues :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MOPAR MITCH

BAM -- You should have no problems at all running the Year One 17x9 both front and rear with common 275-40-17 tires.... both front and rear.    The rims are properly offset with the correct backspacing to keep your wheels centered inside the wheel wells.  I've seen this setup on E-bodies... A-OK!

Keep in mind, that 17" tires are struggling to remain popular and have limited brands of selections.  Also, that 275-40-17 really isn't very big at all... its a small diameter that helps with fender clearance, but will also take some getting used to for viewing such a small diameter.  However, I personally like the Year One rims (17 x 9)... they did their homework to assure proper fitting with our cars!

ledphoot

Very interesting, 275/40/17 on the front eh? I'd like something a little bigger in the rear (don't we all?) but that's a good size front tire for these cars. There aren't a LOT of options, you have Michelin Pilot Sports for all season and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for summer tires with about half a dozen other options at tire rack...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4&partnum=74YR7PSAS4&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=74WR7FHI5&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Hmmm

1973Cuda

Here is a pic of 17" Rallye wheels w/ 245/45/17 on front and 275/40/17 on the rear.

MOPAR MITCH

Both cars look very cool.

Why didn't you install the 275-40-17 up front, as well?  It will fit A-OK on the 17x9 rims and give much better appearance and handling, and a bit more ground clearance up front... and no problems with fender clearance, etc.

I've seen a few E-Bodies with the square setup 17x9... 275-40-17 all around.... that's the best setup for these rims/cars.. at a simple reasonable easy purchase.

1973Cuda

Thanks!...Growing up in the70's I am partial to the staggered look:).