Main Menu

A66 Wheels/Tires....almost there and could need some help before placing order

Started by kawahonda, June 18, 2018, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ToxicWolf

Quote from: kawahonda on June 20, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
Ugh, that's a different topic. I think 275 is too wide from what I've been seeing.....

I think I've nailed the tire sizes down as 235 and 255. You guys tell me if that won't look good....

All I'm wondering is for the rear rim, do I do 15 x 7 and 15 x 8. Either will work, I'm sure of it, I'm just wondering what the visual benefit is!

:pullinghair:

I do plan to get +1 rear leafs in the future....

I went through thinking about this.  If you use the same width wheels front and back ... Then mount different size tires on the front and back ... There will be a different appearance.  The bulge in the sidewalls will be different. Okay, I have been called excessively picky, but that made the difference to me.  :haha:  :wave:

Husk Challenger

Here s my set up: 15x8 4.5bs at the four corners
235/60 front and 255/60 rear

That should answer your question foe the look
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Burdar

QuoteI'm trying to visualize what it does.

15 x 7 w/ 255 rear tires vs 15 x 8 w/ 255 rear tirres.

The tire's sidewall will naturally bulge out past the rim lip.  If you run a 15x7 on all four corners, the sidewall will bulge out more on the 255's because they are wider.  By using an 8" wide wheel, you are pushing the bead out farther...reducing the bulge in the sidewall.  The difference in the sidewall bulge might be noticeable if using 15x7's all the way around...it might not be.  Some people might like that look...others may not.  If you want to keep the sidewalls looking consistent, run the 8" wheel in the back. :alan2cents:

Another thing that hasn't been talked about is tire rotation.  If being able to rotate your tires is a concern, then you'll want to run the 235-60's on all four corners.

RUNCHARGER

Husk: That looks good but it looks like they may rub? How close are the sidewalls to the leaf springs?
Sheldon

Husk Challenger

@RUNCHARGER

The clearance with the leaf springs is good.
I think 4"bs may have be better no?

Burdar

Less back spacing will push the tire OUT towards the fender lip.  More back spacing will bring it in closer to the leaf spring.  It looks like 4.75" - 5" back spacing would work by the look of those pictures.(if those wheels really are 4.5" bs)

kawahonda

I'm surprised that with a 4.5bs and a 255 that it's that close to the fender. I always thought that 255s in the rear was a safe-bet fit.

Have you measured the backspacing of those wheels to verify 4.5 bs? Even the fronts look mighty peculiar.

If you compare with runcharger who has the same tires, he has plenty of clearance. You seem awefuly close...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Burdar

QuoteHave you measured the backspacing of those wheels to very 4.5 bs?

:iagree:

RUNCHARGER

Those are perfect on the springs. I really wish I could remember the BS measurement on my wheels on the orange car the American Racing spec doesn't seem right to me.
Sheldon

Husk Challenger

Quote from: Burdar on June 21, 2018, 09:07:29 AM
Less back spacing will push the tire OUT towards the fender lip.  More back spacing will bring it in closer to the leaf spring.  It looks like 4.75" - 5" back spacing would work by the look of those pictures.(if those wheels really are 4.5" bs)

Thanks, that can't stay in my mind....  :thinking:

Quote from: kawahonda on June 21, 2018, 09:07:52 AM
I'm surprised that with a 4.5bs and a 255 that it's that close to the fender. I always thought that 255s in the rear was a safe-bet fit.

Have you measured the backspacing of those wheels to verify 4.5 bs? Even the fronts look mighty peculiar.

If you compare with runcharger who has the same tires, he has plenty of clearance. You seem awefuly close...

Well i was also surprised! Because i read everywhere on the boards that with 8" rims, 4,5" Bs was the best choice, and indeed the tire is close to the fender!

But i didn't verify ...maybe i received 4"!  :rolleyes:

kawahonda

Really appreciate the responses you guys. Keep em coming if you have more combos/input that you'd like to share.

It seems the defacto choice if you're going with 255 on the rears is to choose an 8" rim. This will make sure the sidewall buldge is consistent. Not really any other reason.

The reason you'd want to go 7" all around is if you think at some point in the future you'll want to use 235's all the way around and this will allow you to rotate them, and take the risk that the "bulge" on the 255's on a 7" rim in the rear will not really be noticeable.

I think my next step is to wait till I get the damn car which is in 4 more days. Figure out what my current backspacing is on my 14" Ralleyes, and to do some mock ups and a lot of staring. :)

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

RUNCHARGER

Yes that's the way to do it. You can seen how much space you have and go from there.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Not true , I had fitted 295s under there , did not rub but too close for comfort , 275 left plenty of room but with the correct backset of the rim which IIRC was 4.5"

72hemi

I am running 15x7 up front with a 235 60R 15 tire and 15x8 (4.5 inch backspacing) in the rear with a 255 60R 15 tire, and to me this is the perfect setup. For a while I ran a 275 60R 15 tire on the back and it fit, however with a car full of 4 people if I hit a big enough bump the tire would rub the top of the wheel well (could have been remedied with a stiffer spring I suppose).

Now that I am thinking about it, this picture may have been while I was running the 275 tire.
Life's too short to drive boring cars

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon