Main Menu

A66 Wheels/Tires....almost there and could need some help before placing order

Started by kawahonda, June 18, 2018, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Alright guys. I've had plenty of time to stare and consider!

The 14" Ralleyes I haven't measured yet, but they appear to have lots of backspacing, which mean the wheel/tire looks REALLY tucked in. Like, almost too much tucked in. The 14" wheel is small, and the E70 tires (which come out to 215) look a little wimpy. Does anyone know the backspacing of the stock 14" Ralleyes...it has to be more than 4.5"!

At this point I'm pretty sure what I want to do. US Steel Wheel series 667 15" wheels 7" wide with 4.5" backspacing all around. 235/60/15 tires all around too.  That should give the car a nice look/stance. Eventually will put on +1 leafs.

Radial TA RWL still the choice, or are there some other brands that have give a better tire with the RWL tire?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

303 Mopar

For RWL 15" you are limited to BFG, MT Sportsman or Cooper Cobras.  BFG is the most popular but some have had bad experiences (don't get @Chryco Psycho started).  MT and Cooper are essentially the exact same tire and Coopers are usually cheaper and easier to find.

I would say 15" wheels at a minimum due to the availability of tires and anything smaller just looks wrong IMO.  Seriously consider 17' or 18" wheels too for performance and again more tire choice.  However, I don't think there are many if any RWL 17-18" tires.

kawahonda

Chryco Psycho

Picture is worth 1000 words
Had 2 fail last year driving to Carlisle

kawahonda

Wow, that sucks. Street radials are street radials (so I read) as far as traction is concerned (if that matters). Seems like the Mickey's are a runner up as the best street radials. I may grab a set...

Assuming that 235 tires on all four's with a 4.5" backspace will be golden.

Assuming that US Steel Wheels 667 series are the closest looking to stock. Chrome outside rim with silver on the inside. I like the the darker inner cap option to give it some break-up.  15 x 7s all around.

Shouldn't look "wimpy" and should look balanced.

E74cuda

Here is an A66 with standard 15x7's with 225/60's front and 255/60's back.

kawahonda

I determined that the factory 14" Rallyes are about 3 3/4" backspacing. Looks to be about 5.5" wide.

Going to a 15" US Sheel Wheel Rallye at 15 x 7" w/ 4.5" backspacing should look good. It will bring the wheel outwards about 3/4" along with the 235 tires to help eat up some of that empty space.

But I did notice a problem...my leaf springs have a helper springs on them! My springs are the correct A66 springs (4-leaf R/T springs). The helper spring mount would make contact with this new setup, so leaf springs have to come before tires/wheels, sadly.

Buying new 5-leaf springs with a +1 seams to be cheap and easy and is what most recommend. That vs removing helper springs, then getting my current springs re-arched. Pros and cons?

kawahonda

Is the US STeel Series 667 wheel the only one with a chrome around the rim?

https://www.uswheel.com/products/chrysler-rallye-silver

It seems like the Wheel Wheel Vintiques are either powder-coated in silver or everything is chrome.

If so I much prefer the US Steel wheel, because it exemplifies the "half moons" into full circles, which I think was the design intent of Chrysler.

Powder-coated silver keeps the half moons half-moons. Looks like a lowered tiered option IMO.

Chroming everything doesn't look stock and doesn't look right IMO.

Anyone with the US Wheel 667 series that can take a photos? It seems like these are the ones to go with, but I cannot find any real-world pictures!

kawahonda

I emailed US Wheel. Hopefully they can send me some real-world shots of this wheel.

I absolutely LOVE the look of this wheel, but I'm curious on how the "rim" is finished. It looks like chrome in image. Perhaps it's something else?

RUNCHARGER

That's a generic trim ring by the look of it. The factory trim rings were not flat they were more rounded. And yes the cool thing about a 70 15X7 rallye wheel was that the factory trim ring reflected the openings and made them almost look like circles when viewed from the side. The 14 inch rallye wheels (along with the 71 15X7s) had brushed trim rings.
Sheldon

kawahonda

You mean the reflection of the rim, not the ring right?

Yeah. I have the original 14" rallyes. Complete with everything. But they need to go. The fender wells beg for more space to be eaten up!

Still waiting the email. I notice that US wheel offers 4.5 and 4.25 backspacing. I know that either will work with 235s all around. What will look better? No doubt "fuller" looks better. Thinking about grabbing the 4.25s all around now.

A really poor prototype, but I taped where the 4.5 bs rims would come out at. 4.25 bs rims would come out 1/4 further. For 235s all around, that might be a mean road look...

My thought is to remove the helper springs, mount the new rims/tires, and THEN reassess the butt height...

Help me spend money!

RUNCHARGER

No one has given you an answer on the factory backspacing. I'll pull a factory 15X7 wheel out of storage tomorrow and get a measurement for you.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

Okay: The factory back spacing on a 15X7 rallye wheel is 4.25". I have never used non factory rallye wheels or trim rings however I believe the aftermarket trim rings are narrower than the factory ones. So I believe they make the 4.5" back space wheels so the aftermarket trim rings will fit with no gap to the center of the wheel. This will mimic the factory look. If you use 4.25" back space 15X7 rallye wheels with aftermarket trim rings there will be a 1/4" space from the trim ring to the center of the wheel.
I may be wrong on that as I've never used aftermarket wheels or rings like I say however I think that is the deal.
This photo is of a factory 15X7 rallye wheel with a factory trim ring.
Hope this helps.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Hmm, thanks! Those are some nice 15 x 7 wheels! I wish I had those!

Here's the aftermarket trim ring. 15" diameter, 2" wide:

https://www.jegs.com/i/US-Wheel/947/TRSS3000-15/10002/-1

Sounds like it would still be safer for the best fit with the trim ring to go with 4.5" backspacing.

I'm a fan of the dark grey center caps:

https://www.jegs.com/i/US-Wheel/947/C56DG/10002/-1

RUNCHARGER

The factory 15X7 trim rings are 3" deep. So the 3" deep trim ring will work with a 4.25" backspace wheel. 2 3/4" will work with a 4.5" backspace wheel.
Sheldon