Main Menu

Steering wheel locking mechanism

Started by RJChallenger, January 10, 2019, 07:16:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I have a 70 challenger steering column that appears to be missing the "spring loaded bar "( as seen at 13.28 of the dis assembly video) that locks the steering wheel. Are these unique to 70 steering columns or will any year column be a suitable donor. Thanks

JS29

71-74 uses the external lever, 70 uses a rod from the transmission to rotate a collar on the column to allow the key to lock the mechanism.   :alan2cents:

RJChallenger

Yes ,That's stops the key from being removed.My reverse lock out works fine But there's a spring loaded lever that locks the steering wheel. That spring loaded lever was removed almost 40 years ago when I didn't like the locking wheel while I had to push the car while restoring it. You always had to look for keys to move the car.That was then and this is now  and I would like to be able to lock the steering wheel. So I need to replace that little spring loaded lever. Does any one know if the spring and lever are unique to 70 columns

JS29

So your missing the lever and spring? so it must be internal verses external. educated guess would be no based on it being a different style of mechanism.  :alan2cents: