Main Menu

Adjustable upper control arms - what's deal?

Started by Archialfa, March 31, 2018, 10:41:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: HUSTLESTUFF on April 01, 2018, 01:21:59 AM
I made my own.  I had Hotchkis but the older pain in butt ones.  Used their hardware and rod ends.  Had the bracket for front to move mounting point, but made extras for my other cars.  Can probably make for $200 a set including brackets ball joint and rod ends for the rest of my fleet.  I gave them a drawing back in 2012 for their new offerings at the MATS.

For years I've wondered if dimensional wise these would work.
  http://shop.victorycircle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VCP05-0065

moparcar

Quote from: Archialfa on April 01, 2018, 04:52:01 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 01, 2018, 04:21:34 AM
I made my own.  I had Hotchkis but the older pain in butt ones.  Used their hardware and rod ends.  Had the bracket for front to move mounting point, but made extras for my other cars.  Can probably make for $200 a set including brackets ball joint and rod ends for the rest of my fleet.  I gave them a drawing back in 2012 for their new offerings at the MATS.

Nice. I have their old style and they really do suck to adjust. I wish there was a reasonable way to retrofit or trade mine in toward new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the new ones they debuted a few months ago?

Although they debuted a few months ago, they've only been available for purchase at most a couple of weeks so it'll probably be a little while before we see actual reviews or in hands comments about the new Hotchkis ones. Rumor has it that they may be in development of a new fabricated spindle for our cars also. They have one in final testing for Mustangs and supposedly Mopars are in the works also. They use Instagram for updates quite a bit if you are on that platform.  Also Magnum Force makes an on car adjustable UCA very similar to the new Hotchkis but without the lowered mounting point assembly.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Brads70 on April 01, 2018, 06:00:34 AM

For years I've wondered if dimensional wise these would work.
  http://shop.victorycircle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VCP05-0065

We used to run Victory Circle chassis 20 years ago. I compared a tweaked Arm with one of my stock arms and it seemed very feasible. I think I posted pics about that back in the day. The adjustment sleeve setup is nice.

BUT from what I know now, the stock caliper clearance at full lock may be an issue with the way the arms go wide from the ball joint.

I know my hotchkis abody arms could only mount a stock pin caliper in the front hung position due to their profile.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

HUSTLESTUFF

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 01, 2018, 04:21:34 AM

Nice. I have their old style and they really do suck to adjust. I wish there was a reasonable way to retrofit or trade mine in toward new.

Goody,since you have there it's prob about 60 bucks. The dimensions are on my pic. Harbor freight notcher modified and tubing from summit or metal retailer. Only thing I did was to have the adjusters tapped on lathe by local can shop. Charged me 5 bucks each.  I tried by hand but couldn't get them straight. Add a cut down bolt and welder up.

autoxcuda

Here's my dimensions of a E-body arm from years ago.... remember when flatbed scanners were the rage.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

HP2

I'm eventually going to convert my stock upper arms to a stud mount GM style. Stud mount will allow a broader range of caster adjustment. Arms are available in lengths from 6" to 10" every half inch to dial in camber gain curve. 67-72 Chevy truck ball joints have the same taper as a mopar spindle and easily bolt in. Most of all, they only cost $50 each.