Main Menu

Aftermarket steering coupler

Started by bc3j, June 24, 2019, 11:52:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bc3j

Has anyone ever had an aftermarket steering coupler fit slightly loose on the steering box gear cause a minute amount of play? The coupler engages the gear easily.  There is no master spline on the aftermarket unit. Maybe that's the problem. I drew a line from the role pin hole that holds the shoes in at right angles to the end of the coupler to where a master spline should be. I have an OEM coupler and made a line there first and it was directly inline with the master spline. Thought that should work on the aftermarket coupler. Maybe not. Fits almost like it's slightly oversized. Rest of the steering is tight. No play at all at the pitman arm after I removed it from the center link. Grabbing the steering shaft and moving it I can see the movement over the steering gear. Grabbing the coupler and the shaft and moving it shows no movement with the shoes. Just checking that the slight movement in the gear mesh might be normal or should I put the OEM coupler back on? I don't think there should be any slop. Just checking with the group. I'll have to say the OEM unit came off harder than the aftermarket unit went on. Maybe I answered my own question. I put the aftermarket unit on for aesthetics. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

There are always a bit loose on the first part of the spline , once they go past the roll pin groove they should be tighter But the roll pin adds the pressure to keep them tight

Chryco Psycho

You have both couplers there , is the new one significantly more loose ? if so run the original  :alan2cents:

bc3j

I never gave the roll pin any thought.  I'll double check that as maybe I didn't drive it in quite far enough.