Main Menu

Aftermarket steering wheels for a 1970 Cuda

Started by soccernut43, January 31, 2019, 03:23:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soccernut43

What has everyone used as an aftermarket steering wheel for a 1970 Cuda?  I was looking at the Tuff Wheel.  MCB Restoration had one for $245 with the adapter costing $149.  Josh's Muscle Car Parts may have the same one (really not sure) for $159 and the adapter costing $149. 

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @soccernut43  :welcome:

Check out the Tuff Wheel @MoparDave  sells.  He gives us members (you included) a great discount off the posted price.  Contact him and he might even have other options too.

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_info.php/p/tuff-wheel-leather-with-satin-finish/products_id/9663

Brads70

I suspect the tuff wheels are made by 2 manufacturers. I'd suggest the one Cody linked to. I got mine here...
https://pgclassic.com/256-bs-c-mopar-a-b-c-e-body-leather-tuff-steering-wheel/
I did have the plastic Grant one and found the PG one much nicer ( soft leather wrapped) It's also available in different colours.

soccernut43

Thanks for the quick replies.  Helped out a ton.

JS29

A tuff wheel going on an E-body does not require an adapter.   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

The rim blow wheel is refreshing in an E-body too. Unfortunately they are large and skinny though.
Sheldon

ToxicWolf

The two things I looked for when I got mine was leather and that the leather was stitched.  :waving:

soccernut43

Does the Tuff Wheel require the Tuff Wheel replacement for the original?  I don't have the crush can for my car.  Thank you.

soccernut43

In the description for the Tuff Wheel it does state that it needs the Tuff Wheel hub.  Possibly me calling it an adapter was a mistake.

1970-76 Mopar A/B/E-Body Black Leather "Tuff Wheel" Steering Wheel - THIS HAS A SATIN FINISH - leather Tuff Wheel steering wheel for 1970-76 A, B, and E-Body models. Features polished stainless steel spokes with a leather grip. Measures 14-1/2" in diameter and is 1-3/4" deep. Note: Requires original "Tuff Wheel" style hub (not included) for installation.

JS29

When I put a tuff wheel on my 70 Barracuda it bolted directly to the crush can.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

All E Body steering wheels attach to the "crush can" buy three nuts. This pattern is the same for the Tuff Wheel....so the Tuff Wheel is a direct bolt-on for the E Body and does not require the "Tuff Wheel Adaptor/hub" .....However if you don't have a crush can either, you will need one. If you use the Tuff Wheel adaptor the steering wheel will be closer to your dash obviously  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

It was straight bolt on for my 70 Challenger.  :banana:

318Stroker

Re-iterating what's been said. As long as you have the ribbed crush can, the Tuff wheel is a direct bolt-on, as long as the wheel manufacturer has the 3 holes drilled in the correct position. No adapter or hub needed.

7212Mopar

I think Classic Industries carry the E Body crush can if you need one or try Ebay.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

CudaMoparRay

A great  :welcome: from Sylmar, CA
My aftermarket steering wheel installed directly to the crush can without any modifications or adapters as the guys stated above.