Main Menu

Ball joint problem?

Started by 70pumpkin, July 30, 2018, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: 70pumpkin on August 06, 2018, 08:55:53 AM
Pulled everything off and the spindle is damaged - beyond repair  :angry:

That's a pretty rare thing to happen. Sorry to hear that. I assume the bearing spun on the pin?  Post up a picture if you can

70pumpkin

Yep, seems like the bearing and weight of the tire/rim spun on the spindle, which explains the metal on metal sound I was hearing.  Shop said the bearing track was split which is something they've never seen before. 

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I had one ball up on my 71 way back when, it was easy to find another one back then though.
Sheldon

Brads70

Not sure on what car you have but if your not concerned with numbers matching /originality stuff than now would be a good time to upgrade to bigger rotors....
https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/brakes/disc-main.html

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 72bluNblu on August 06, 2018, 12:53:44 PM
Quote from: jimynick on August 03, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
No offense to Dr.Diff, but I bought everything (bearings,seals,calipers, pads, hoses and rotors) off the net with the vast majority of it coming from Rock Auto and it's tough to beat their prices! Just my  :alan2cents:

Sure, if you happen to be close to one of their warehouses, and most of your parts come from a single warehouse.  For me their low prices are pretty much always negated by their high shipping costs, especially if the parts you need come from multiple warehouses. Plus it always takes a week or more for their stuff to arrive, can't order from them if I need it in a hurry. They seem like they're a better resource if you're not on the West Coast.

And honestly I'd rather do business with Cass, even if it ends up being a few bucks more. I know if there's a problem he'll take care of it. Rock Auto will just give you the run around, and then paying return shipping will hammer you.

Funny, that hasn't been my experience at all.... I've been using them for 7-8 years & paying shipping has been about a break even vs paying local sales tax.... The only part I had an issue with they paid return shipping

Skid Row

When I disassembled my 73 Challenger I found a 70 (small bearing) & 2 piece rotor on the drivers side, Need It?

Brads70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 07, 2018, 03:47:27 PM
Quote from: 72bluNblu on August 06, 2018, 12:53:44 PM
Quote from: jimynick on August 03, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
No offense to Dr.Diff, but I bought everything (bearings,seals,calipers, pads, hoses and rotors) off the net with the vast majority of it coming from Rock Auto and it's tough to beat their prices! Just my  :alan2cents:

Sure, if you happen to be close to one of their warehouses, and most of your parts come from a single warehouse.  For me their low prices are pretty much always negated by their high shipping costs, especially if the parts you need come from multiple warehouses. Plus it always takes a week or more for their stuff to arrive, can't order from them if I need it in a hurry. They seem like they're a better resource if you're not on the West Coast.

And honestly I'd rather do business with Cass, even if it ends up being a few bucks more. I know if there's a problem he'll take care of it. Rock Auto will just give you the run around, and then paying return shipping will hammer you.

Funny, that hasn't been my experience at all.... I've been using them for 7-8 years & paying shipping has been about a break even vs paying local sales tax.... The only part I had an issue with they paid return shipping
:iagree:  Don't get me wrong I always support Cass when I can I bought my Dana from him. Great service/support but I too have had great experience with Rockauto even up here in Canada. They can often beat the shipping times of local jobbers and with the convenience of delivering it to my door. Even with shipping and taxes they always beat pricing of the local suppliers.  It's usually on my doorstep in a couple of days.

72bluNblu

Like I said. I used to order stuff from RockAuto all the time, I've got a whole refrigerator covered with their little magnets. But I haven't for years now, because any time I price check them, with shipping, against Summit or Amazon, they're not the cheapest anymore. And their stuff always takes a good week to come in. With Summit or Amazon I usually have my parts within 2 days.

The real killer is when your parts have to come from 2 or more warehouses, and it seems like they always do. Then you're paying multiple shipping bills, and that adds up fast.

But I'm not comparing them against the local parts suppliers, I don't use them much anymore either. Seems like the time of them having parts in stock for these cars is over, and if I have to order something I can usually have it faster and cheaper than what the local auto parts store can do anyway.