Main Menu

Bought truck dana 60, narrow to what?

Started by bbs, September 27, 2023, 01:13:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bbs

To replace my 8-3/4, I have a Ford truck Dana 60 which I need to narrow, but to what?

I have a '70 Cuda with 1.5" mini-tub and will have a 3-link, so no leaf springs to get in the way. 

'70-'74 e-body flange-flange size is 56 31/64".  Is the standard practice to narrow to stock width, or 3" narrower to 53 31/64"?

JonH

This might not help but what wheels are you using? Off the shelf wheels have limited back spacing options. Custom wheels allow you to pick what you want. I would start there...

Brads70

anlauto

I would get your wheels first then start measuring
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bbs

Thank you for all the replies!

Measuring makes sense.  I had also tubbed the outer wheel tub fo the tire could sit deeper.

Wheels are 18x10 with a 4.50 backspace, tires are 305/40-18 (American Racing VN510 DRAFT, Nitto 555 g2).

For future wider wheels, should the rear be narrowed 2" more with long studs and 1" spacers, or are different offsets used.

I'll have a ton of torque, 383 stroked to near 496, 440 source CNC heads, bullet roller cam 108lsa 246/251 .574, etc..  I won't have traction with 10" wide wheeels and low profile tires.

Chryco Psycho

For sure , you need to know the wheel size a offset to center the wheel first then start measuring for diff width .

MoparLeo

No spacers! Get wheels first or you might plan on having wheels custom made $$$
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

bbs

Wheels pressed with tires against inner wheel well gives me 55-1/2" hub-hub, or 57-1/2" with an inch of clearance on both sides of the tires.

The stock 8-3/4" rear measures 61-3/4" hub-hub. 

The Dana 60 measures 66" hub-hub.  I'm assuming I'd have the Dana 60 narrowed to 57-1/2" which is roughly 3" narrower than stock.

bbs

Just for fun, this is the 305/40-18 tire shoved high into the wheelwell.  The axle would be deeply embedded in the rails for that to happen.

Bullitt-

Be aware there is an offset with the drivers side being longer on Mopars of the era to line up with rest of the drivetrain

here its a discussion for an a-body, I don't find any info specific to an e-body
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/narrowed-rear-offset.400692/#post-1971975156

Also some interesting info on this calculator page
     http://www.doctordiff.com/axle-calculator/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

bbs

Thanks bullet, I recall seeing the axle page long ago.

The 8-3/4 pinion is 1" offset to the passenger side.  Pinion center to passenger side is 29.5", to drivers side 32" (plus a 1/4" somewhere to make it 61-3/4).  Tunnel is also offset about 1" to the passenger side.

Assuming 57.5" is the right width, for the dana 60 that means from pinion to drivers hub is 30" and to passenger side is 27.5".

But I'm pretty sure others have mini-tub'd an e-body and narrowed the axle.  Right?