Main Menu

Brake Booster Identification Help

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, January 13, 2023, 04:51:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Jocigar on January 16, 2023, 10:53:38 AM
Pics, needs resto source as well.

Is your car power drum brakes ? :huh:  Nothing about that assembly looks correct for a 1970 E Body :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jocigar

anlauto

Quote from: Jocigar on January 16, 2023, 01:19:14 PM

Hi Alan   A34 package

Well, in my opinion, none of your parts are correct. Especially that master cylinder. You need the dreaded "171" master along with a Bendex booster in my opinion.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70_440-6Cuda

Lots of great info here - thank you all.  I sourced the dreaded "171" master cylinder from a member here - figured I better jump while I can.  Will need to hunt downt he correct booster though.  My car was originally equipped with B41 Front disc, 10" rear drum and B51 Power brakes.  From what I can find from the research info provided, I am in need of the Bendix booster for a June '70 build.

I assume the 22229171 MC is a pretty rare item to come across these days?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

usraptor

My '70 'Cuda 440 "U" code is also equipped with the A34 package; power front discs and rear drums; production date of June 8, 1970.   I'm 99.9% sure that it still had it's OEM original power brake booster on it when I bought it as it also had the 171 master cylinder that I still need to get restored.  Anyway, here are the pics of my power booster.  I'm not sure which of the many numbers stamped on it are the part number but maybe somebody here can tell you.  Good luck with your hunt.  Have you tried Stephensperformance?  I Haven't bought anything from them but they advertise that they have a huge inventory of Mopar parts.  I'd also try Tony's parts.  He occasionally gets in good "used" parts and if he doesn't have one he can probably steer you in the right direction to find one.

http://stephensperformance.com/
https://www.tonysparts.com/

70_440-6Cuda

@usraptor thanks so much for posting pics!  I picked up a 171 master cylinder from a member here and from what I gather it is a lucky find.... thanks for the supplier references also!

Booster seems like an easy one to get wrong so I will take some time to try to make sure I make an accurate identification

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Fastmark

I have lots of original 70-71 ebody cars and parts. The booster that usraptor posted is the correct one for a 70 e body. It is crimped together instead of held together with a clamp like late 71 up. I had an early 71 Cuda that I parted out with a 70 clamp style booster but the normal 71 are the gold cad plated clamp style. I have a couple of NOS 171 master clys  I keep under my bed, in a lock box, with a pit bull chained to them. They are tough to find.

usraptor

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on January 16, 2023, 04:10:46 PM
@usraptor thanks so much for posting pics!  I picked up a 171 master cylinder from a member here and from what I gather it is a lucky find.... thanks for the supplier references also!

Booster seems like an easy one to get wrong so I will take some time to try to make sure I make an accurate identification

No problem.  Good luck with the search!   :twothumbsup:

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Fastmark on January 17, 2023, 03:32:10 AM
I have lots of original 70-71 ebody cars and parts. The booster that usraptor posted is the correct one for a 70 e body. It is crimped together instead of held together with a clamp like late 71 up. I had an early 71 Cuda that I parted out with a 70 clamp style booster but the normal 71 are the gold cad plated clamp style. I have a couple of NOS 171 master clys  I keep under my bed, in a lock box, with a pit bull chained to them. They are tough to find.

Hilarious!!  Yeah, I am paying a premium for sure, but figure I better pull the trigger while I can... thanks everyone

Jocigar

Well not knowing any better, I thought I was actually helping out by providing pictures of my v code parts that I've had in basement storage for 30+ years... to show they were the same.   Sorry if it looked like a thread jacking.

As for the part I am at a complete loss, when I got car in 1990 it was complete and I disassembled piece by piece and put parts in basement storage.   The car had this booster assembly with the disk brakes.   I looked at my 70 repair bible last night and the midland is listed as one of the boosters for 1970 (maybe not for disk).   

I can't imagine that previous owner would have replaced the assembly in 15 years tops of use time?    Is it possible that the combo of midland and disk brakes to work since that is how the car was driven?   Is it at all possible that the assembly line made a mistake and installed a drum brake booster assembly on a disk brake car ?  This one really has me perplexed.

regardless, I guess I'm shopping around for 22229171 and 18268   

anlauto

The diagrams posted are B-Body, and I'm no expert of reading dates on tags etc, but that tag could be the 315 day of 1975  :dunno:

anlauto

Okay, first off the master cylinder.
The front caliper of a disc brake assembly requires much more fluid to operate properly then the rear wheel cylinder of a drum brake. Therefore a disc brake master cylinder has a much larger front reservoir and a smaller rear reservoir.

The master cylinder on a four wheel drum brake car has equal front and rear reservoirs.

There's no way the "factory" would have installed a drum brake master on a disc brake car because it simply would not work adequately whatsoever, even though you claim your car was set-up this way when you got it, I doubt the brakes were up to par.

Could these parts have been replace in the first 15 years ? Heck yea, parts malfunction all the time, the booster assembly could have been replaced in the first year...WHO KNOWS. ??? a lot happens over the years.

The first unspoken rule of restoration is to follow the norm and restore your car with parts that are assumed correct reguardless of what you find on your car...if 99.9% of ALL 1970 E Bodies with the A34 option have a Bendix booster with a 171 master, then restoring your car with anything but would be considered incorrect in the eyes of most judges.  If you can show pictures of your car from 1975 with a different booster, that means nothing...it would have to be pictures of it on the showroom floor to convince anybody.

Jocigar

Thank for all that Alan!   

I never drove the car, it was not running and in sad shape when purchased.   Flatbed to garage port and then stripped it down to a shell.     Blows my mind, but I guess these cars were not worth much back then, they beat the piss out of it and left it for dead... some half ass repairs along the way apparently. 

So what are the going rates for booster and master now days if found ? :bricks:     Maybe I'll just wait for Carlisle.   

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Jocigar on January 17, 2023, 10:46:04 AM

Thank for all that Alan!   

I never drove the car, it was not running and in sad shape when purchased.   Flatbed to garage port and then stripped it down to a shell.     Blows my mind, but I guess these cars were not worth much back then, they beat the piss out of it and left it for dead... some half ass repairs along the way apparently. 

So what are the going rates for booster and master now days if found ? :bricks:     Maybe I'll just wait for Carlisle.

2nd that for going rate?

440ehigh

I have a question more related to the master cylinder and these brake boosters. Does anyone know how Bendix assembled and paired these items. Could a 1971 disc brake master cylinder been paired to a 70 brake booster. I ask because when I first started learning about these cars I read the Pumping Points article by Brad. I verified I had the correct brake booster it's like pictured above with the same number's stamped in it. But I didn't due enough research to realize it was a 70 only booster. I just remember reading that it was used on early 71 models. Didn't think about the master cylinder much at the time and found a master cylinder for the 71 model year. Because my car is 71 model year built in August 1970. So had a good amount of 70 items on it. Starting to think should start to look for a 70 disc brake master cylinder now after reading this post.