Main Menu

Brake Booster Identification Help

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, January 13, 2023, 04:51:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

EV2RTSE

Quote from: Jocigar on January 20, 2023, 07:30:37 AM

Hi all, If I found a correct booster but it needed rebuilding and also the master cylinder shaft was broken... as I am being told, is it scrap or salvageable?   If it can be saved, how much would you pay for it and where would you send it for repairs.   or should i just walk away and wait for better unit to come along.   Thank you!

Just a guess but I would think it's doable. These Bendix boosters were used on other brands (Chevrolet) and so I would have to think parts are still available. But would of course want to confirm with the rebuilder.

The Booster Exchange has been the go-to in the hobby, maybe inquire with them as to what they think-
https://www.powerbrakebooster.com/

Have also heard this place recommended-
http://remaninc.com/

I've seen reman Bendix boosters in the $500 range recently, so if you figure $200 for a rebuild and $100-$200 for a core you're still ahead of the game.  :dunno:

EV2RTSE

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on January 20, 2023, 10:15:57 AM
Any suggestions for a good / close reproduction of the Bendix booster?

I don't think there are any. I was looking around too and only came across this-
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/pb73709.html
What a bummer that there are only two mounting points for the master cylinder rather than the four on a Mopar.

EV2RTSE

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on January 20, 2023, 02:52:22 PM
Is the the correct booster set up for a '70?  Want to verify before I buy... thanks!!

At first glance it looks like it could be, I'd want to see some pics of it from straight ahead to be more certain. Also there should be some #s on it like these - (as others have posted above, and from my own March 1970 built car).

EV2RTSE

Quote from: Jocigar on January 17, 2023, 10:46:04 AMSo what are the going rates for booster and master now days if found ? :bricks:     Maybe I'll just wait for Carlisle.

Well, it appears Tony's has the booster and master. Prices usually are at or above market, I don't fault it he has the stuff and makes it convenient.

70_440-6Cuda

@EV2RTSE thanks for all the info, will help me get the right stuff for sure, and have some leverage with a few different places to source.  Very helpful!

Anyone had their MC / and Booster rebuilt, and who did you use that you would trust?

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

B5fourspeed

Power brake exchange.San Jose or Bell Gardens both in Calif.

JH27N0B

Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis is the go-to resource to sleeve and rebuild master cylinders and calipers.

Ns1aar

Karps in Chino Calif Hes been doing them for a long time had both of my 70 E-body disk brake parts done by them
http://www.karpspb.com/

EV2RTSE

Quote from: 440ehigh on January 18, 2023, 05:23:58 PM
That's my question / problem. I found a 187 a few years ago and had it sleeved. I was just going off model year casting numbers not date of build. Or realize the booster I verified as correct was a 70 only booster but the car being a 8-70 build would understand why it had the 70 Bendix booster. Just seeing if it would make sense that it has a 71 correct master with a 70 booster.  Didn't know if they could pair together or not. Because with the rising cost of everything i bet to get a master cylinder re sleeved is getting pricey on top of  the core charges of a 171.

I guess this thread got me looking into what I have on hand and then also looking to see what might be out there for sale. I came across a seller with a stash of boosters. Many were the mid 71-74 Midland Ross banded type but there were a few Bendix boosters too. More interesting was that two of the Bendix boosters were 1970 and two more were 1971 & still attached to 1971 3461187 master cylinders. I knew the 70 Bendix booster has an indentation around the pushrod to accommodate the piston retainer which is found on either power drum or power disc 1970 master cylinders. I found these 1971 Bendix boosters do not have the indentation around the pushrod, as the 1971 master cylinder no longer used the piston retainer- it has a circlip instead.

It would seem that using a 1970 master cylinder on a 1971 booster wouldn't work but it would also seem that using a 1971 master cylinder on a 1970 booster wouldn't be a problem.