Main Menu

Brake cable removal - the saga continues

Started by xx88man, April 26, 2020, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Hi guys. I am replacing my front brake cable. I have it unhooked from the pedal and from the mid-cable. How do I release the clips that hold it in place? Bracket at the front and crossmember. Is there an easy way to release those clips? 71 Challenger. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

Screwdriver in the hole on the clip and a hammer  :alan2cents: ....okay okay okay....maybe a proper chisel and not your screwdriver.... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

If you're replacing the cable I just bend the tabs back and forth and snap them off. If you have room you can put a small hose clamp around the tabs and tighten the clamp, push the tabs past the hole and then remove the clamp.

larry4406

I recall placing a flare wrench over the cable then pushing it tight to the frame to compress the clip and out it came...

JS29

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on April 26, 2020, 01:50:13 PM
If you're replacing the cable I just bend the tabs back and forth and snap them off. If you have room you can put a small hose clamp around the tabs and tighten the clamp, push the tabs past the hole and then remove the clamp.

This is a great method for the rear brake cables at the backing plates, but the original poster was asking about the front cable at the transmission cross member I believe...It would be hard to get a hose clamp inside the frame :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

Rich G.

You're correct , You should be able to pry it right out of the cross member. Doesn't have the ends like on the brake shoe ends

xx88man

I am trying everything I can think of to get this cable off of the bracket by the e-brake pedal. Hitting it with a chisel is really difficult because I can't get at it very easily. Plus inside the car it is like new condition. Very solid. I want to get it off and I really don't want to dismantle the car to do it. Any help?
Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

Okay, you're replacing the cable. Do you have bolt cutters ? When I'm taking apart a car and not saving the cable I cut it off by the pedal assembly and remove the pedal. You can likely leave the pedal in place and use vice grips or something to twist out the cut off end of the cable ???? :dunno:

xx88man

A small bolt cutter would probably do the trick. I have to cut it above the bracket in order to remove it out the bottom of the bracket. I'll try that tomorrow. I thought of using a cutoff wheel on a dremel but I definitely don't want sparks inside. Thanks Alan
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Alright I finally got that stubborn cable out. My original cable housing had a grommet that went into the floor hole from the inside out. The reproduction cable I have the grommet is on the opposite way so it will go in from the outside. The cable itself has a slight bend in it so I can only put it in one way. Will it let water into the car if the grommet is in from the outside? I would hate to have to cut the grommet and turn it around. Is there a way to remove the knob off the cable? If I could I would just put the cable in the housing the other way. Anyone else run into this?
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

Rich G.

Or you can cut it off and then put it back on with a little bit of black silicone.

xx88man

I'm trying to decide which is better .... putting the grommet from the outside or slicing it apart to turn it around....
Keep yer foot in it