Main Menu

challenger front tire pushed forward

Started by Challenger74, December 15, 2018, 03:15:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger74

OK so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. i have a 74 challenger, i put a QA1 complete front suspension on. the drive side tire sits about 2-3in forward. I've had the car for years and its always had that problem before and honestly i forgot about it. well now the problem is all the new parts went in without a problem and I'm looking at rims and tires and its starting to become a problem. so has anyone had this problem?

JS29

:welcome: Measure from center hub to center hub, front and rear, then measure the other side front wheels straight of coarse. if it's off by 1/8th or more, have the uni body checked.  :alan2cents:   

70 Challenger Lover

I had a car like that once where the difference was only an inch. Turned out to be massive frame issues. I'd love to know what yours turns out to be. Sounds serious

Chryco Psycho

Challenger74

So i measured it and its roughly 110 1/4 on each side...

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @Challenger74   Can you post some photos of what it looks like?

Challenger74

the k member, upper and lower control arms, strut rods and torsion bars are replaced with the QA1 suspension

Katfish

If it's 110" for both sides, might be an optical illusion?
Maybe the fender is off.

70 Challenger Lover

I'm having a hard time visualizing it and pics would definitely help. If there were issues with frame rails, I'd think it would have been obvious when you installed the new setup. I'm also wondering how it would even bolt up if something is that far off. I'm not familiar with a QA1 suspension but any possibility some mounting bracket is turned the wrong way?

You say 110.25 inches on each side so does that mean the wheelbase on both sides is identical? If so, then it doesn't sound like one wheel is more forward than the other.

IRON MAN

The 1973 Dodge Body Service Manual states the wheel base for a Challenger is 110.0". We need pictures :needphotos:

Challenger74

Everyone has been a great help so far. I will take pictures tomorrow when I get off work. But this is what I'm thinking might be the problem but more time with the tape measure tomorrow will tell. I think the driver fender was replaced at some time in the past and the size of the wheel opening isn't the exactly same as factory. Right now the front of the tire is about 2in closer to the front of the wheel opening on the driver side compared to the passenger side. But tomorrow there will be pictures.

6bblgt

a number of E-bodies front fender corners were "clipped" for BIG tires "back-in-the-day"

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I carefully trimmed 1 inch off the front of the HemiCuda's fenders so I could run 245X60's all around. I feel guilty about it now but not back then.
Sheldon

JS29

How level is the front of the car look? A good front end alignment will tell a lot! these new systems that are out there use laser technology. your wheel base checks out, that is a good thing. How dose the car drive?   

CudaMoparRay